Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre freestyle
|Men's 200 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||7 August 2016 (heats &|
8 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||48 from 36 nations|
|Swimming at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
After a runner-up feat in the 400 m freestyle two days earlier, China's Sun Yang put up a monumental effort for the Olympic mid-distance freestyle title in a race against Chad le Clos of South Africa and Conor Dwyer of the United States. Hanging with the leaders at the 150-metre turn, Sun made a late charge on the final lap to edge out Le Clos in front and did not let Dwyer pass him for the gold medal in 1:44.65. Despite his early jump to the immediate lead before the final stretch, Le Clos could not hold off Sun to finish with a silver and an African record time in 1:45.20. Meanwhile, Dwyer powered home with a bronze in 1:45.23.
Swimming on the outside lane, 2015 World champion James Guy of Great Britain improved upon his position to finish fourth with a 1:45.49. Dwyer's teammate Townley Haas claimed the fifth spot in 1:45.58, while Germany's world record holder Paul Biedermann (1:45.84), Japan's Kosuke Hagino (1:45.90), the Olympic champion in the 400 m individual medley, and Russia's Aleksandr Krasnykh (1:45.91) rounded out the field.
Other notable swimmers featured France's Yannick Agnel, who missed a chance to defend his Olympic title after fading to nineteenth in the prelims with a 1:47.35, and two-time silver medalist Park Tae-hwan of South Korea, who posted a twenty-ninth-place time of 1:48.06 in his fourth Olympic appearance. Shortly after the Games, Agnel, aged 24, officially confirmed his retirement from international swimming.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||1:42.00||Rome, Italy||28 July 2009|
|Olympic record||1:42.96||Beijing, China||12 August 2008|
The heats began at 1:19pm.
* Qualified, but pulled out of semi-finals to focus on 4×100 m freestyle relay.
|5||5||Chad le Clos||1:45.94||Q|
- "Men's 200m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Johnson, Raphielle (8 August 2016). "Sun Yang wins 200 free, Conor Dwyer takes bronze". NBC Olympics. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "China's Sun Yang celebrates gold medal win in the 200m men's freestyle at the Rio 2016 Olympics". Daily Mail. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Sun Yang Charges To Gold In 200 Free Final; le Clos Takes Home Silver". Swimming World Magazine. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Olympics Rio 2016: GB's James Guy finishes fourth as Sun Yang takes 200m freestyle gold". Eurosport. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Sun Yang Takes Top Spot; Defending Gold and Silver Medalists Out of 200 Free". Swimming World Magazine. 7 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Anderson, Jared (7 August 2016). "Yannick Agnel Confirms He Will Retire After Rio". Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Jeux Olympiques : Jérémy Stravius fait l'impasse sur les demi-finales du 200m" [Olympics: Jérémy Stravius scratched the semifinals in the 200m free]. L'Equipe (in French). Éditions Philippe Amaury. 7 August 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.