Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 100 metre freestyle
|Men's 100 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||9 August 2016 (heats &|
10 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||59 from 46 nations|
|Winning time||47.58 WJR|
|Swimming at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
At 18 years of age, Kyle Chalmers defeated the experienced field of sprinters to become Australia's first Olympic champion in this event since Michael Wenden topped the podium in 1968. Rallying from seventh at the halfway turn, he overhauled the field for the gold medal and a junior world record in 47.58. Swimming out of lane seven, Pieter Timmers posted a 47.80 to take home the silver for the Belgians, along with a national record. Meanwhile, U.S. sprinter and defending champion Nathan Adrian barely advanced out of the prelims earlier, but bounced back to earn a bronze in the final with a 47.85.
Leading the race early on the initial length, Canada's Santo Condorelli narrowly slipped out of the podium to fourth in 47.88, just a 0.03-second deficit behind Adrian. British teenager Duncan Scott finished fifth in 48.01 to match his own national record that he set in the heats. American youngster Caeleb Dressel picked up a sixth spot in 48.02, while Australia's pre-race favorite Cameron McEvoy dropped back to seventh in 48.12. Amid the delight of the home crowd, Brazil's Marcelo Chierighini rounded out the field with an eighth-place time in 48.42.
Notable swimmers missed the final roster, including China's Ning Zetao, the defending World champion, and Russia's Vladimir Morozov, who was allowed to compete in Rio, after filing a successful appeal against his possible doping report ban.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||46.91||Rome, Italy||30 July 2009|
|Olympic record||47.05||Beijing, China||13 August 2008|
|1||4||Kyle Chalmers||47.88||Q, WJR|
|3||2||Pieter Timmers||48.14||Q, NR|
- "Men's 100m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Pentony, Luke (11 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Australia's Kyle Chalmers wins Olympic gold in 100 metres freestyle". ABC News Australia. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Lutton, Phil (11 August 2016). "Rio Olympics 2016: Kyle Chalmers, 18, shocks world with 100m freestyle gold". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (10 August 2016). "Nathan Adrian wins bronze in 100 free at Rio Olympics". USA Today. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Australia's Kyle Chalmers takes the gold in men's 100-meter freestyle". Los Angeles Times. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Kyle Chalmers Downs 100 Free World Junior Record; Takes Home Olympic Gold". Swimming World Magazine. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Robertson, Grant (11 August 2016). "Santo Condorelli's fastest not enough to medal, finishes fourth". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Kyle Chalmers wins men's 100m freestyle gold". BBC Sport. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Webster, Andrew (11 August 2016). "Cameron McEvoy lost for words after 100m freestyle failure at Rio Olympics". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Tan, Alicia (11 August 2016). "Chinese swimmer Ning Zetao swims his way into the No. 1 spot in people's hearts". Mashable. Retrieved 1 September 2016.