19 April 1950
|Education||Arts Educational Schools, London |
London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art
|Relatives||Annette Mills (grandmother)|
Sir John Mills (great-uncle)
(1st cousin once-removed)
(1st cousin once-removed)
She is best known for her portrayals of the snobbish TV announcer in Victoria Wood's As Seen On TV and the role of Bev Unwin in Coronation Street, which she played between 2003 and 2006; she also made a brief return to that role in 2015. She is currently portraying Hilary Nicholson in Mrs. Brown's Boys, which she has been playing since December 2011. She has recently played the part of Miss Marple in The Mirror Crack'd. (when ?)
Blake trained at the Arts Educational School and the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. She is the granddaughter of actress Annette Mills, and a great-niece of actor Sir John Mills. Actresses Hayley and Juliet Mills are Blake's first cousins once-removed.
Blake has appeared in television programmes starring Victoria Wood and has extensive radio credits. She appeared in the first episode of the sitcom One Foot in the Grave in which her character was responsible for firing Victor Meldrew, and thus set the events of the show into motion. She appeared as Bev Unwin in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street until her departure in December 2006.
Blake played the character of Madame Morrible in the West End production of Wicked. She began her run on 2 April 2007, replacing Miriam Margolyes. Blake played her final performance on 12 April 2008 and was replaced by Harriet Thorpe. Blake appeared as a witch in the pantomime Wizard of Oz at The Lowry Theatre and Gallery, Salford, in 2004/2005.
In late 2008 to early 2009, she starred in the national UK tour of Boeing Boeing, and appeared as Judith in one episode of Wild at Heart's third series. She was also in a national tour of Grumpy Old Women 2 in 2009 with Jenny Eclair and Wendi Peters.
Blake appeared as Hilary Nicholson in the RTÉ and BBC comedy Mrs. Brown's Boys, replacing Sorcha Cusack, who played Hilary in series one. In 2015, she played The Queen in a theatre tour of the West End hit Handbagged.
Blake briefly reprised her Coronation Street role of Bev Unwin in July 2015 to help the long-running character Deirdre Barlow – who was played by the recently deceased Anne Kirkbride – bow out of the soap due to Kirkbride's death in January 2015.
- Rooms as Sarah (1974)
- Zodiac, as Peggy (1974)
- Cribb, as Lotte (1979)
- Armchair Thriller: A Dog's Ransom as Marion Dowell (1978)
- Russ Abbot's Saturday Madhouse (1981–1985)
- Victoria Wood As Seen On TV (1985–1987)
- Something for the Weekend (1989)
- One Foot in the Grave (1990) as Victor Meldrew's boss.
- Darling Buds of May, as Mrs. Jerebohm (1991)
- The Wail Of The Banshee, as Faye Morgan (1992)
- Mud, as Miss Dudderidge (1994-1995)
- A Prince Among Men, as Beverly (1997–1998)
- Roger Roger Eve (1999)
- The Quiet Garden, as Mother (2002)
- Coronation Street, as Bev Unwin (2003–2006, 2015)
- Kelly & Lewis, as Carol Taylour (2007–2009)
- Wild at Heart as Georgina Black (2008, 2012)
- Murder Most Foul as Elizabeth Bailey (2008–09, 2013)
- Sooty's Amazing Adventures as All the females (apart from Katarina)
- Mrs. Brown's Boys as Hilary Nicholson (2011–)
- Parents as Alma Miller (2012)
- Great Night Out as Mrs B (2013)
- You, Me & Them as Emma Grey (2013–)
- Cuckoo as Belinda (2016)
- Murder on the Blackpool Express as Marjorie (2017)
- Casualty, as Belle Radnor (2019)
- Barrymore Plus Four (1995)
- Auntie's Secret Box (1996)
- "The Phenomenon Squad" (1987)
- and others