Susan Foster was raised in East Hampton, New York. She grew up surrounded by artisans and with artistic relatives. Foster resided close to the homes of Jackson Pollock as well as Willem de Kooning, where she found creative inspiration. Foster's artistic surroundings framed her upbringing and were a big influence on her future career as a jewelry designer.
Foster studied in detail traditional jewelry design and creation with European goldsmiths. She further enhanced her knowledge by going to the esteemed Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and studied extensively diamonds, colored gemstones, synthetic gemstones, and pearl grading.
Foster began her career as a jewelry designer in 1999 where her collection was soon featured on the covers of Mademoiselle, InStyle, Glamour, and Elle. At that time her collection was picked up by Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. In 2008 Foster opened her exclusive, by-appointment-only boutique in Los Angeles, California.
In 2014, Foster relocated to New York City, where she currently works with private clients from her Upper East Side showroom. Her fine jewelry collection is also available with select retailers worldwide including Just One Eye in Los Angeles, Fivestory in New York, as well as Harrods and Matches.com in the UK. Susan Foster's jewelry has been featured in top publications including Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Tatler, Marie Claire, Elle and InStyle. Foster's designs have been worn by notable celebrities including Kate Bosworth, Kerry Washington, Mandy Moore, Sarah Harris, Kate Hudson, Zoe Saldana and Mila Kunis. In 2016, Susan Foster's jewelry was auctioned off at Christie's for the private collection of President and Mrs. Ronald Reagan.
- "The Jeweler Who Keeps Stars and Execs Glam", Hollywood Reporter, October 20, 2016.
- "Talking to Susan Foster, L.A. Boutique Proprietor & Global Luxury Purveyor", JCKOnline, October 31, 2014.
- "Harrods Adds Susan Foster Luxury Jewellery Room Offering", ProfJeweller, April 11, 2017. Updated April 11, 2017.
- "Buy Now 15 Best Bridal Bracelets", Vogue, May 14, 2017.
- "11 Chic Jewellery Brands You Need to Know About Now", Harper's Bazaar, January 25, 2017.
- "Christmas Gift Ideas for Her", Tatler, December 18, 2017.
- "Hillary Duff Cover Shoot", Elle, June 18, 2006.
- "InStyle Magazine Covers:2003", InStyle, December 2003.
- "Kate Bosworth's L.A. Party Outfit Is a Minimalist's Dream", WhoWhatWear, January 12, 2017.
- "Oscars 2017: Stars Shine In Piaget, Chopard, Gemfields At Pre-Oscar Events", Forbes, February 26, 2017.
- "Diamonds for Dinner", W Magazine, October 14, 2015.
- "The Private Collection of President and Mrs. Ronald Reagan", Christie's, September 21, 2016. Updated September 21, 2016.