Superwombling was the fourth and final studio album released by the Wombles. The songs were recorded by Mike Batt (vocals/keyboards) with session musicians Chris Spedding (guitars), Les Hurdle (bass), Clem Cattini (drums), Ray Cooper (percussion), Rex Morris (sax), Eddie Mordue (sax) and Jack Rothstein (violin).
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||Wessex Studios, Olympic Studios, February-June 1975|
|The Wombles chronology|
"The Myths and Legends of King Merton Womble and His Journey to the Centre of the Earth" is a parody of two contemporary concept albums – The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and Journey to the Centre of the Earth – both by Rick Wakeman.
Despite having several successful singles, the album did not chart but did eventually go Gold.
All tracks written by Mike Batt.
- The Womble Shuffle (In Which Everybody Shuffles) (2:49)
- The Myths And Legends Of King Merton Womble And His Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (In Which Wellington Imagines The Round Knights Of The Table) (5:27)
- Down At The Barber Shop (In Which We Meet The Wombling Barber Shop Quartet) (1:59)
- The Empty Tidy-Bag Blues (In Which Orinoco Reveals His Taste For Underground Music) (4:11)
- Wombling White Tie And Tails (In Which Orinoco Fancies Himself As A Film Star) (3:32)
- Superwomble (In Which Orinoco Dreams About The Mighty Superwomble) (3:23)
- Miss Adelaide (She's Got A Lot Of Knowledge) (In Which We Meet Miss Adelaide, The School Teacher And Mistress Of The Womblegarten) (3:57)
- Wombles On Parade (In Which The Wombles Follow The Band) (3:41)
- To Wimbledon With Love (In Which Wellington Fancies Himself As A Secret Agent) (3:50)
- Nashville Wombles (In Which We Meet The Guitar Pickin' Wombles From Nashville, Tennessee) (4:55)
"Wombling White Tie And Tails", "Superwomble" and "The Womble Shuffle" were released as singles. "Down At The Barber Shop" was later released on the B-side of "Let's Womble To The Party Tonight".
"Wombling White Tie And Tails" was used in the soundtrack of the 1977 film "Wombling Free".