The Super Tokachi (スーパーとかち) is a limited express train service between Sapporo and Obihiro via the Hakodate and Nemuro Main Lines in Hokkaido, Japan, operated by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido). As of October 2009, there are five trains per day running in both directions, with the fastest journey taking 2 hours 25 minutes (Super Tokachi 4).
KiHa 261-1000 series DMU on a Super Tokachi service at Obihiro Station, October 2007
|Service type||Limited express|
|First service||1 February 1962 (Express)|
1 September 1990 (Limited express)
27 July 1991 (Super Tokachi)
|Current operator(s)||JR Hokkaido|
|Rolling stock||KiHa 261 series, KiHa 283 series DMUs|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Operating speed||130 km/h (80 mph)|
All cars are no-smoking.
KiHa 261 series
KiHa 283 series
The name was revived from 1 September 1990 as the Limited express Tokachi (とかち) using KiHa 183 series DMUs. From 27 July 1991, four Tokachi services were upgraded to become Super Tokachi using KiHa 183 series DMU sets including bilevel Green cars.
From 1 November 2014, the refreshment trolley service and Green car complimentary drink service are discontinued, with refreshments sold instead in car 1.Refreshment service was scheduled to be discontinued entirely from 1 January 2015.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. p. 114. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- JR Timetable, October 2009 issue
- 特急スーパーとかち（261系・283系） 列車ガイド [Super Tokachi (261/283 series) Train guide] (in Japanese). Japan: Hokkaido Railway Company. 21 July 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995. p. 127.
- Rail Magazine: キハ183系特急〈とかち〉消滅 (KiHa 183 series Tokachi disappear) (1 October 2009). Retrieved on 1 October 2009. (in Japanese)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tokachi (train).|
- JR Hokkaido Super Tokachi train information (in Japanese)