Suonenjoki is located in the Northern Savonia region. The town has a population of 7,138 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 862.34 square kilometres (332.95 sq mi) of which 148.78 km2 (57.44 sq mi) is water. The population density is 10 inhabitants per square kilometre (26/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Kuopio, Leppävirta, Pieksämäki, Rautalampi and Tervo.
Suonenjoki railway station
Coat of arms
Location of Suonenjoki in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°37.5′N 027°07.5′E|
|Sub-region||Inner Savonia sub-region|
|• Town manager||Olavi Ruotsalainen|
|• Total||862.34 km2 (332.95 sq mi)|
|• Land||713.55 km2 (275.50 sq mi)|
|• Water||148.78 km2 (57.44 sq mi)|
|Area rank||119th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||134th largest in Finland|
|• Density||10/km2 (30/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.9%|
|• 65 or older||24.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Suonenjoki is famous for its strawberries. It is also known as "the Strawberry Town". Lots of foreign people, mainly from Ukraine and Russia, come to Suonenjoki in summer to work on strawberry farms. That makes Suonenjoki the most international town of Finland at summer. There is a party in Suonenjoki in July called Mansikkakarnevaalit, "Strawberry Carnival". There was also a rock festival named Jörisrock, the last "Jöris" was held in 2006. Nowadays, "Jöris" has been replaced by a music event called Iisrock.
Newspaper Sisä-Savo is published in Suonenjoki and nearby municipalities.
Suonenjoki is situated between two important cities, Kuopio and Jyväskylä, and the main road 9 (E63) between those cities goes through Suonenjoki. The railway between Kuopio and Helsinki goes also through the center of Suonenjoki.
Notable people from Suonenjoki
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Town of Suonenjoki – Official website (in Finnish)