Suno Chanda (Urdu: سنوچندا) (transl. Listen Love) is a 2018 Pakistani Ramadan special romantic comedy series directed by Ahson Talish and written by Saima Akram Chudhery. It is different in content from run of the mill sitcoms. The series follows the story of Jiya-Arsal who are in Nikaah, living separately as the Rukhsati is yet to happen. They fight with each other and are against their marriage, but the later events make them realize that they cannot live without each other. It aired everyday on Hum TV.
|Also known as||زفاف بلا زوجين|
|Created by||MD Productions|
|Written by||Saima Akram Chudhery|
|Directed by||Ahson Talish|
|Presented by||Hum TV|
|Country of origin||Pakistan|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||30|
|Production location(s)||Karachi, Sindh|
|Camera setup||Multi-camera setup|
|Production company(s)||MD Productions|
|Distributor||Hum Network Limited|
|Original network||Hum TV, Hum Network Limited|
|First shown in||Pakistan|
|Original release||17 May –|
16 June 2018
|Followed by||Suno Chanda 2|
It features Iqra Aziz and Farhan Saeed as Jiya and Arsal respectively in the leading roles while Samina Ahmad, Syed Mohammed Ahmed, Sami Khan, Nadia Afgan, Farah Shah, Sohail Sameer, Farhan Ali Agha, Mizna Waqas, Ali Safina, Tara Mahmood, Adnan Shah Tipu Mashal Khan and Nabeel Zuberi in recurring roles. The serial is produced by Momina Duraid under their production banner MD Productions.
The serial received five major nominations at the 18th Lux Style Awards, including Best Television Play for Momina Duraid, Best Writer for Choudhary, Best Actress (Critics and Viewers) for Aziz and Best Emerging Talent for Zuberi. It won three Lux Style Awards, including Best Serial and Best Actress for Aziz. It has also been dubbed in Arabic and aired on MBC Bollywood under titled "زفاف بلا زوجين". Series received highest ratings and positive reviews on its premiere, and was the slot leader for the whole time it was on air. Its sequel Suno Chanda 2 is released on 7 May 2019 and ended 5 June 2019 after airing 30 episodes on Hum TV.
|Season||No. of episodes||Originally broadcast (Pakistan)|
|First episode||Last episode|
|1||30||17 May 2018||15 June 2018|
|2||30||7 May 2019||5 June 2019|
The series revolves around two cousins, living in a joint family, Arsalan Jamshed Ali (Farhan Saeed) and Ajiya Nazakat Ali (Iqra Aziz) who have taken their vows (Nikaah) but are not yet living together because the wedding and Rukhsati are not held yet. Both Jiya and Arsal are against the marriage as the nikaah was done as per the wishes of their dying grandfather without taking their consent. Jiya dreams of joining London School of Economics for higher studies after her BBA. Bi Jaan (Samina Ahmad), the head of family is Arsal and Jiya's grandmother. She has two sons Jamshed Ali (Farhan Ali Agha) and Nazakat Ali (Sohail Sameer) and a daughter Masooma (Tara Mahmood) who is married to Jalal Khan (Adnan Shah Tipu).They live in Peshawar. Jamshed Ali is married to Shahana (Nadia Afgan) and Nazakat Ali to Naeema (Farah Shah). Jiya has a younger brother Daniyal Nazakat Ali (DJ) who has his reporting system. He is always on sting operations making videos of family members and breaking news.
Arsal and Jiya being cousins are childhood companions. They play pranks on each other. The undesired nikah has put them in a war like situation.
The only daughter of family Masooma with her husband Jalal and their daughter Kinza arrives to fix the date of marriage. Arsal and Jiya do not want to marry as they have personality clash, but are forced by their family to honour the wishes of dying grandfather. Jiya and Arsal are constantly scheming as they plan to stop the wedding. Jiya, Arsal and their cousin (Masooma and Jalal's daughter) has a secret crush on Arsal and wants to stop the wedding too thus she helps Arsal and Jiya in cancelling the wedding by creating problems and rifts among the family members. Shah Jahan (brother-in-law of Bi Jaan) and his grandson Shehryar (Nabeel Zuberi) who are settled in London visit Pakistan for Arsal and Jiya's marriage function which is planned to happen after Eid. They were invited by Jiya unknowingly to Bi Jaan against her will. Bi Jaan dislikes Shah Jahan (Agha Jaan), her late husband's brother as he made her to marry his brother in extenuating circumstances, while she liked him. Sherry is close to his cousins and a co-conspirator in their plots to stop marriage. Sherry asks both Arsal and Jiya to sort out their problem amicably. Sherry also helps Jiya to fulfill her dream of joining the London School of Economics and they plan to study together. Sherry eventually develops feelings for Jiya which makes Arsal jealous. Meanwhile Bi Jaan's niece (sister's daughter), Arbela (Mizna Waqas) (Billo) arrives to attend the wedding. Billo was supposed to get married to Jamshed, Arsal's father but Jamshed chose to marry Shahana instead. Shahana gets jealous with Jamshed and Billo's growing closeness and angrily leaves the house. Kinza and Arsal too come to live with her. Jiya's parents Naema and Nazakat cancel the wedding due to misunderstanding and rift caused by the actions of Arsal and Jiya. Jamshed Ali stages a false heart attack drama to bring her wife back. Later in the show Shahana also cancels the wedding and wants Arsal to marry Kinza. Plots and sub-plots are executed by Masooma and Shahana. Kinza is happy about these turn of events. Jiya and Arsal are finally happy that they are no longer getting married. But, seeing their parents at loggerheads, they bond together as crime masters. Meanwhile, Jiya finally gets a scholarship to LSE (London School of Economics). As their parents are against each other Jiya and Arsal are forbidden to talk to each other. They are even having separate iftari on same dining table by partitioning the table. As Jiya and Arsal get closer to each other for making schemes, Arsal while talking to Kinza and Sherry realises he loves Jiya. He starts talking about Jiya around Sherry (Shehriyar) and Kinza. Both Sherry and Kinza get jealous, so Kinza gets tired of hearing Jiya's name whenever Arsal and Kinza are talking and wants to drop their wedding proposal as well. Jiya's and Arsal's parents want Arsal to give divorce to Jiya but he is not happy about it. He has started developing strong feelings towards Jiya. Jiya's father however sends her to a lawyer to file for khula. Seeing this, Arsal confesses his love for Jiya but she rejects him and tells him that he is only jealous of the fact that Jiya wants to go abroad for higher studies. Arsal denies this and says that he will not divorce her and help her to continue her studies. Meanwhile, Arsal receives a notice from the court which infuriates him and he tells Jiya that he would not lose hope even if she has filed a case in court. Sherry says that Arsal and Jiya should resolve this matter by mutual discussions and so he convinces Jiya to meet Arsal at Iftar. The three go to an eatery for Iftar and there Arsal asks Jiya to try and understand his feelings but she says that she is more than sure that Arsal has not fallen in love with her. She asks him to give it a second thought, but he replies that he has thought it over many times and he knows that he has actually fallen in love with her. Jiya says that even if he has she can do nothing about it and she is sorry for that. On their way back home, thieves attack them causing Sherry to run away abandoning the two. They try to kidnap Jiya but Arsal fights with them and protects her and as a consequence they shoot Arsal in the arm. Sherry gets back to the house and tells everyone what happened. Meanwhile Jiya takes Arsal to the hospital and the doctor tells them everything is okay and that the bullet only brushed his arm. Later Jiya realizes her mistake says sorry to Arsal and he accepts it. Meanwhile Kinza is noticing Jiya and Arsal are getting close again, after their fight has stopped. She accepts Sherry's offer to help teach her everything about life. It starts mutual liking between them.
The shooting incident and Arsal risking his life for her develops soft corner for Arsal in Jiya's heart. At first she is confused about her feelings for Arsal but soon expresses her love towards Arsal to her close friend and confidante Huma. At the same time Arsal who is desperate to know what is in Jiya's mind asks DJ to make a video of conversation of Jiya and Huma.Jiya is unable to convey her feelings to her parents, however accepts the same in front of Bi Jaan and seeks her guidance. Bi Jaan asks Arsal to take her to the lawyer and withdraw the divorce proceeding, which Jiya does without informing her parents. Meanwhile, Arsal gets his hands on the video and gets to know about Jiya's feelings. He is elated to know that and thanks God. Jiya also starts acting a little strange in front of Arsal and he being aware of her feelings, tries to extract a confession out of her. In the meanwhile Naeema's friend Aaliyyh visits Jiya's house with regard to the marriage of Jiya to her son, which Arsal stops by showing them the invitation card of their wedding.
Later the family comes to know about the fact that Arsal and Jiya have fallen in love. But their parents are still against this and Nazakat asks Jiya that she has to chose between her parents and her husband (Arsal). Bi Jaan gets to know about this, she hatches a plan and asks Nazakat and Jamshed if they want the divorce of their children or their mother. She gives them ultimatum to leave the house of their father if they can't honour his last wish. Bi Jaan calls an estate agent to see the house, Meanwhile Shahanas cousin and ex-fiance Joji (Jawad) (Ali Safina) visits the family where he meets Billo and start flirting with her,at this Jalal becomes jealous who was also flirting with her. Shahana has a private talk with Joji about their engagement that she thought was false as it happened in childhood. At same moment DJ makes their video and shows to Jamshed. Nazakat asks Jiya in presence of whole family to sign on the divorce papers and instead she writes "I love my husband" on stamp papers. Nazakat gets shocked while Arsal is very happy.
So family decides to go forward with the marriage of Arsal and Jiya as planned, by reconciling their differences. Preparations for Jiya and Arsal's wedding are going on meanwhile Agha Jaan asks Jalal the hand of Kinza for Sherry. Kinza's parents agree. Arsal and Jiya are meeting privately which is disliked by Bi Jaan, she asks Jiya to stay away from Arsal till the wedding day which is to be held after EID.
Shahana became aware through Billo, of Jamshed's fake heart attack drama and creates a scene but Jiya and Arsal handle it as they tell Shahana that it has increased her face value among female members of the family. Shahana says sorry to Jiya as she has scolded Jiya so much. Arsal also begs forgiveness from Jiya's father for getting hyper during certain times. Bi Jaan asks Joji to call his mother for Billo's marriage proposal to which he happily agrees. Arsal gifts Jiya dress for Mehndi and sangeet function and asks her to wear it. The family celebrates eid the next day. Arsal and Jiya meet secretly and exchange Eid greetings. The next day Mehndi ceremony takes place. At wedding ceremony Arsal and Jiya began to fight again but on insistence of family patch up saying sorry to each other. At the time of Doodh Pilai ceremony whole family gathers to cheer the bride and groom. In the backdrop of ceremony Sherry is teasing Kinza and she proposes to Sherry for marriage which delightfully surprises Sherry and both accept each other.
On their wedding night Jia and Arsal fight again but later realize their folly and say sorry to each other and promise not to repeat the same mistakes. The drama ends with Arsal and Jiya confessing their love for each other.
|Farhan Saeed||Arsalan Jamshed Ali (Arsal)||Engaged (Nikah but not yet living together) to Jiya, hates Jiya in start of their relation but attracted towards her afterwards|
|Iqra Aziz||Ajiya Nazakat Ali (Jiya)||Engaged to Arsal; she also doesn’t like Arsal and keeps making ideas to break up their Nikah, but finally fall in love with Arsal|
|Samina Ahmad||Mumtaz Begum (Bi Jaan)||Grandmother of Jiya and Arsal; She is caring towards all house members and doesn’t wants Jiya and Arsal to break up their marriage.|
|Nabeel Zuberi||Shehryar (Shery)||Second cousin of Jiya and Arsal; grandson of Agha Jan. He keeps making plans to study abroad along with Jiya and also has a crush on her|
|Mashal Khan||Kinza Jalal||Cousin of Arsal and Jiya; she has a crush on Arsal|
|Farhan Ally Agha||Jamshed Ali||Father of Arsal; famous for his extra marital affair with Billo|
|Sohail Sameer||Nazakat Ali||Father of Jiya; He’s always sick and asking everyone for his medicine.|
|Nadia Afgan||Shahana Batool (Shanno)||Mother of Arsal; She always believes gossips and fights around the house and is easily fooled. She is also the old fiancee of Joji.|
|Farah Shah||Naeema||Mother of Jiya, tries to force Jiya to marry her friend’s son|
|Syed Mohammad Ahmed||Shah Jahan||Grand-uncle of Jiya and Arsal, grandfather of Sherry|
|Tara Mahmood||Masooma||Daughter of Bi Jaan, she wants Arsal married with her daughter Kinza. Because of that, she is always creating gossip and fight between the family members.|
|Adnan Shah Tipu||Jalal Khan||Husband of Masooma and son-in-law of Bi Jaan, father of Kinza, also known for constantly flirting with Billo|
|Mizna Waqas||Arbela (Billo)||Cousin of Jamshed and nazakat, she was engaged to Jamshed but later he married Shahana. Shahana feels jealousy and hatred towards her, later falls for Joji|
|Sami Khan||Danial Nazakat Ali (DJ)||Younger brother of Jiya, he keeps making secret videos of gossips in the house and share them with other members of the house.|
|Ali Safina||Jawad (Joji)||Cousin of Shahana, came for Arsal and Jiya's wedding, likes Billo|
|Agha Sajjad||Abba Jan (Dead)||Grandfather of Jiya and Arsal, Jiya and Arsal are married as a result of his dying wish.|
|Anumta Qureshi||Huma||Jiya's friend|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||30 May 2018|
|"Suno Chanda" OST on YouTube|
Music is composed by Naveed Nashad, lyrics were by Ahson Talish.
The series break previous records of Hum TV and is one of the most successful and watched drama during Ramadan. It is praised for its tune of reality and culture mixed-up with humor and was applauded with positive reviews. The directors first choice was Sohai Ali Abro and Maya Ali, Iqra Aziz. Sohai agreed to this act, but Farhan didn't wanted to work with her, that's why Iqra was the choice for this act. Last Episode of the drama aired on 1st day of Eid-ul-Fitr. Aziz and Saeed are praised for their on-screen chemistry, speaking to The Express Tribune, Aziz said that she is overwhelming and was not expect the series to be the massive hit. She further said about the character she played, “Jiya made me feel happy and I was really intrigued by the fact that these two people, married to each other, know each other inside and out, but still don’t want to live their lives together. Then, when I found out about their Tom & Jerry dynamic and absolutely loved it!” Farhan Saeed told in an interview "It makes me really happy, audience are really appreciating me for my work, the best part about this is I feel more confident now about choosing my scripts". Actress Mahira Khan also confess her love for the show.
Awards and nominations
|2019||18th Lux Style Awards||Best TV Play||Suno Chanda||Won|
|Best Director||Ahsan Talish||Nominated|
|Best Emerging Talent||Nabeel Zuberi||Nominated|
|Best Actress Viewers Choice||Iqra Aziz||Won|
|Best Actress Critics||Won|
|7th Hum Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Best Writer||Saima Akram Chaudhary||Won|
|Best Television Play||Suno Chanda||Nominated|
|Best on-screen couple||Iqra Aziz & Farhan Saeed||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Adnan Shah Tipu||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Nadia Afgan||Won|
|Most Impactful Character||Nominated|
|Best Male Actor||Farhan Saeed||Won|
|Best Child Actor||Sami Khan||Won|
Due to its immense popularity and ratings, the makers announced Season 2. Iqra Aziz confirmed being part of the Season. On 2 October 2018, it was reported that Farhan Saeed had signed up for the project opposite Aziz. On 10 October, it was reported that Nabeel Zuberi had also signed up. The series episodes were aired from first day of Ramadan, 7 May 2019 and the last episode was aired on 6 June 2019. In October 2019, the third season of Suno Chanda has been announced.
- NewsBytes. "Farhan Saeed returns to the small screen with Suno Chanda". The News International. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Iqra Aziz And Farhan Saeed's New Ramazan Drama Is Getting A Lot Of Attention, But Is It Worth It?". MangoBaaz. 2018-05-23. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Suno Chanda". Hum TV. Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- tabloid!, Usman Ghafoor, Special to (2018-05-07). "Farhan Saeed back with 'Suno Chanda' serial". Gulf News. Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- "'Suno Chanda' is a Ramadan hit in Pakistan". Gulf News. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Suno Chanda makes the choice for women yet again – marriage trumps education and career". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Pakistani dramas need to have less plot twists: Farhan Saeed | The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Iqra Aziz back on sets for Suno Chanda 2". www.thenews.com.pk. 2019-04-02. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "Lux Style Awards biased nominations". Business Recorder. 2019-04-01. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Shabbir, Buraq. "Samina Ahmed on her role in Load Wedding". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Zia, Iman (2018-05-23). "Iqra Aziz And Farhan Saeed's New Ramazan Drama Is Getting A Lot Of Attention, But Is It Worth It?". MangoBaaz. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "Iqra Aziz reveals Suno Chanda 2 story". Business Recorder. 2019-04-04. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "'Baat Cheet' with Nadia Afgan". The Nation. 2018-07-28. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "Farhan Saeed thanks fans for showering love on 'Suno Chanda' | Pakistan Today". www.pakistantoday.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Desk, News (2018-08-06). "Hum TV's hit comedy Series Suno Chanda will be back for Season 2!". Global Village Space. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "'Suno Chanda' to return for seconds during Ramadan". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Haider, Sadaf (2018-06-07). "Comedy serial Suno Chanda provides welcome relief during a dull drama season". DAWN. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Fatima, Nayab. "Ali Ansari shared picture with his fiancée Mishal Khan". Aaj News. Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- Shirazi, Maria. "Catching up with Nabeel Zuberi". The News International. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- "Lux Style Awards 2019 nominations revealed". Daily Pakistan Global. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "The Lux Style Awards 2019: And the nominees are..." The Express Tribune. 2019-03-30. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- نيوز, المشرق (2019-05-31). "مسلسل زفاف بلا زوجين الحلقة الاخيرة .. زفاف بلا زوجين الحلقة 30". المشرق نيوز (in Arabic). Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- NewsBytes. "Suno Chanda 2 to feature new characters". The News International. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Iqra Aziz back on sets for Suno Chanda 2". The News. 2019-04-02. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Suno Chanda | Pakistan Today". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Haider, Sadaf (2018-06-21). "Suno Chanda sends a message about the importance of consent in marriage, says Farhan Saeed". DAWN. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Here's what Pakistani women have to say about Suno Chanda". Something Haute. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Suno Chanda is coming to an end and we can't take it". Daily Pakistan. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Suno Chanda coming to an end". Business Recorder.
- "Fans upset over drama series 'Suno Chanda' coming to an end | Business Recorder". www.brecorder.com. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "I didn't expect such a massive response to 'Suno Chanda': Iqra Aziz | The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2018-07-04. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Receiving more appreciation for the Suno Chanda than I did for Udaari: Farhan Saeed". Something Haute. 2018-06-02. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Mahira Khan Reveals She Is A Big Fan Of Suno Chanda - VeryFilmi". VeryFilmi. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Siddiqui, Mishaal (2018-06-22). "Mahira Khan is all praises for Iqra Aziz!". HIP. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- Staff, Images (2019-07-08). "A list of everyone who went home a winner from the Lux Style Awards 2019". DAWN. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- Staff, Images (2019-03-30). "Lux Style Award 2019 nominations are out!". DAWN. Retrieved 2019-03-30.
- Staff, DAWN (2019-10-06). "Here's everyone who won big at the 7th Hum Awards". Images. Retrieved 2019-10-06.
- Staff, Images (2018-08-05). "Suno Chanda is returning with a new season". Images. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "'Suno Chanda' sequel in works, confirms Iqra Aziz | The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2018-08-06. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "Farhan Saeed talks about Suno Chanda and Suno Chanda 2 in an exclusive interview". Daily Pakistan Global. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Nabeel Zuberi Just Revealed Details About "Suno Chanda" Season Two". MangoBaaz. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Two things we desperately need to see change in Suno Chanda 2". Something Haute. 2018-08-06. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- Syed, Madeeha (2018-08-12). "I love that Suno Chanda united families, says Iqra Aziz". Images. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- Sheheryar Fayyaz (2019-04-11), The Set Of Suno Chanda Season 2 | New Cast | Must Watch | Ramazan | Hum TV, retrieved 2019-04-13
- Staff, Images (2019-08-10). "Suno Chanda might be returning for a third season after all". Images. Retrieved 2019-10-06.
- "Suno Chanda may return with another season | Samaa Digital". Samaa TV. Retrieved 2019-10-06.