|Stadium||CSA OrthoCarolina Sportsplex |
Sportsplex at Matthews
|League||National Independent Soccer Association|
The club's name comes from an early nickname for Matthews derived from the fact that farmers cut down so many trees to clear land that the town was left full of tree stumps.
For a time, little was known about the club, and it was referred to in league press releases simply as "Charlotte". The club's name was officially unveiled in June 2019 . The team is owned by Christopher Clarke of Atlanta, a lawyer specializing in wealth management, and Casey Carr, a former college soccer player with the DePaul Blue Demons and an entrepreneur based out of Mecklenburg County. Carr serves as the club's president and GM.
For the 2019 NISA Fall Showcase the team will split time between the CSA OrthoCarolina Sportsplex in Pineville and the Sportsplex at Matthews. Club management views the Sportsplex at Matthews as the team's long-term home.
Players and staff
- "Our History - Matthews NC". www.matthewsnc.gov.
- "New Professional Soccer Club to Call Charlotte Home". nisaofficial.com.
- Athletic, Stumptown (June 19, 2019). "Are you ready? Sign up for news alerts! http://stumptownathletic.com/ pic.twitter.com/3KfTs3RdB8". External link in
- Boraks, David. "New Pro Soccer Team Stumptown Athletic Debuts This Fall". www.wfae.org.
- "Steffens to lead Stumptown Athletic". South Charlotte Weekly. July 26, 2019.
- "NISA Showcase | National Independent Soccer Association". nisasoccer.com.
- "FAQ - Stumptown Athletic". https://stumptownathletic.com. External link in
- "First Team". Retrieved September 22, 2019.