Struggle for the Matterhorn
Struggle for the Matterhorn (German: Der Kampf ums Matterhorn) is a 1928 German-Swiss silent drama film co-directed by Mario Bonnard and Nunzio Malasomma and starring Luis Trenker, Marcella Albani, and Alexandra Schmitt. The film is part of the popular cycle of mountain films of the 1920s and 1930s. Art direction was by Heinrich Richter. Based on a novel by Carl Haensel, the film depicts the battle between British and Italian climbers to be the first to climb the Matterhorn. Trenker later remade the film as The Challenge in 1938.
|Struggle for the Matterhorn|
German theatrical release poster
|Based on||Der Kampf ums Matterhorn|
by Carl Haensel
|Distributed by||Universum Film AG|
- Luis Trenker as Jean-Antoine Carrel
- Marcella Albani as Felicitas, Wife of Carrel
- Alexandra Schmitt as Mother of Carrel
- Clifford McLaglen as Giaccomo
- Peter Voß as Edward Whymper
- Paul Graetz as Meynet
- Johanna Ewald as Wife of Meynet
- Hannes Schneider as Cross
- Ernst Petersen as Hadow
- Hugo Lehner as Hudson
- Luggi as Lord Douglas
- Heinrich Gretler as Seiler, Hotelwirt
- Hoffmann p. 128.
- Hoffmann, Hilmar. The Triumph of Propaganda: Film and National Socialism, 1933–1945, Volume 1. Berghahn Books, 1997.