Streams of Expression
Streams of Expression is the 20th studio album by American jazz musician Joe Lovano to be released on the Blue Note label. It was released in 2006 and features a five-part "Streams of Expression Suite," three-part "Birth of the Cool Suite," and three other shorter works. The "Birth of the Cool Suite" was conducted by Gunther Schuller and utilizes melodic themes inspired by Miles Davis' work from his 1948 and 1950 nonet. The album also features George Garzone, Ralph Lalama, Gary Smulyan, and Tim Hagans.
|Streams of Expression|
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 1, 2006|
|Recorded||December 13–14, 2005|
|Studio||Avatar Studios, New York City.|
|Joe Lovano chronology|
|All About Jazz|
Steve Greenlee of JazzTimes stated "This disc can be considered something of a sequel to 1995’s Rush Hour, which stands among Lovano’s very best... The music is interesting enough, especially when Lovano solos, but this is not a disc that will find itself in my CD changer often... It is Lovano’s original suite that constitutes the better portion of this album. John Fordham of The Guardian commented "This could have been a legacy-jazz homage that simply polished the glossy surfaces of these timeless pieces, but Lovano and Schuller have chosen to look both back at the genre's pre-bop roots and forward to the free-jazz it helped release".
- "Streams of Expression: Streams, Pt. 1" - 10:53
- "Streams of Expression: Cool, Pt. 2" - 7:02
- "The Birth of the Cool Suite: Prelude/Moon Dreams" - 6:40
- "The Birth of the Cool Suite: Interlude No. 1/Move/Interlude No. 2" - 8:05
- "The Birth of the Cool Suite: Boplicity/Postlude" - 5:29
- "Blue Sketches" - 4:52
- "Buckeyes" - 9:30
- "Streams of Expression: Enchantment, Pt. 3" - 3:41
- "Streams of Expression: Second Nature, Pt. 4" - 6:00
- "Streams of Expression: The Fire Prophets, Pt. 5" - 6:55
- "Big Ben" - 4:47
- Larry Farrell: Trombone
- George Garzone: Sax (Tenor)
- Tim Hagans: Trumpet
- John Hicks: Piano
- Dennis Irwin: Bass
- Ralph Lalama: Clarinet, Sax (Tenor)
- Joe Lovano: Clarinet (Alto), Sax (Tenor)
- Lewis Nash: Drums
- Michael Parloff: Flute
- Barry Ries: Trumpet
- Charles Russo: Clarinet, Clarinet (bass)
- Gunther Schuller: Conductor
- Steve Slagel: Flute, Sax(Alto), Sax (Soprano)
- Gary Smulyan: Sax (Baritone)
- James Weidman: Piano
- CALDER, ROBERT R. (September 2, 2006). "Joe Lovano: Streams Of Expression". All About Jazz. allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- Yanow, Scott. https://www.allmusic.com/album/r840749 allmusic.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-26.
- Fordham, John (31 August 2006). "CD: Joe Lovano, Streams of Expression". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- LAYMAN, WILL (25 August 2006). "Joe Lovano Streams of Expression". PopMatters. popmatters.com. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- Vitale, Tom (October 1, 2006). "Joe Lovano, Returning to 'The Birth of the Cool'". NPR.org. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- Greenlee, Steve (1 September 2006). "Joe Lovano: Streams of Expression". JazzTimes. Retrieved 11 April 2019.