Location in Slovenia
|Coordinates: 45°47′12.53″N 14°5′18.12″E|
|Traditional region||Inner Carniola|
|Statistical region||Littoral–Inner Carniola|
|• Total||6.16 km2 (2.38 sq mi)|
|Elevation||658 m (2,159 ft)|
Strane has what is considered the oldest and largest yew in Slovenia. The tree is estimated to be 550 years old and it has a circumference of 420 centimeters (170 in). Karel Dežman had previously estimated the tree as 952 years old in 1860, assuming a slower rate of growth. Folk tradition claims that Saint Jerome preached under a predecessor of the current yew.
A second, younger yew stands near the older one. It has a circumference of 211 centimeters (83 in) and is estimated to be 230 years old. The younger yew is unusual in that it is monoecious, the only known example of such a yew in Slovenia.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia Archived November 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Postojna municipal site
- "Strane pri Postojni: najstarejša tisa v Sloveniji". SiolNET. October 12, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- "Tisa v Stranah". Visit Postojna. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- Naravna vrednota. Tisa v Stranah. 2011. Information sign in Strane. Ljubljana: Zavod Republike Slovenije za varstvo narave and Zavod za gozdove Slovenije.
- Koper Diocese list of churches Archived March 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine