Stephen Paul Abell
10 April 1980
|Education||Loughborough Grammar School|
Emmanuel College, Cambridge
|Occupation||Newspaper editor, journalist, radio presenter|
The Times Literary Supplement
Currently editor of The Times Literary Supplement, Abell was the managing editor of the UK's Sun newspaper from 2013 to 2016. He was formerly a fiction reviewer at The Spectator and reviewer at Telegraph Media Group as well as The Times Literary Supplement. In addition to this he was formerly a presenter on LBC Radio.
In September 2001, Abell joined the Press Complaints Commission as a complaints officer; he completed other roles at the PCC including press officer, assistant director and deputy director before being appointed Director of the PCC on 19 December 2010. In August 2013, Abell joined The Sun as Managing Editor, his role until the end of April 2016.
In March 2014, Abell started co-presenting a show on LBC Radio alongside Sky News television presenter Kay Burley from 8 am to 11 am on Sundays. Burley was the main presenter while Abell reviewed the papers and added political comment.
From August 2014, the show was co-presented by Abell and LBC's Petrie Hosken. In January 2015, he was given his own show from 8 am to 10 am on Sundays. From April 2016, Abell moved to the afternoon slot on Sundays of 3 pm to 6 pm.
In May 2016, Abell took up a new post as the editor of The Times Literary Supplement, succeeding Sir Peter Stothard, who had edited the newspaper for the previous 14 years. He is a regular presenter on the BBC Radio Four series Front Row.
In May 2018, he published his first book entitled “How Britain Really Works”.
- "Mr. Stephen Paul Abell (Stig Media Limited)".
- ""MR STEPHEN PAUL ABELL (affirme..." ::Leveson Inquiry :: SayIt".
- "News Commercial - Home". newscommercial.co.uk. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "PCC appoints Stephen Abell as new director". journalism.co.uk. 5 November 2009. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- "Stephen Abell Linked In Profile". Linked in. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Stephen Abell appointed Managing Editor of The Sun". News UK. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Kay Burley & Stig Abell". LBC Radio. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Greenslade, Roy (12 February 2016). "Sun managing editor Stig Abell to become editor of the TLS". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Stig Abell appointed Editor/Publisher of the Times Literary Supplement | News UK". www.news.co.uk. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Stig Abell". www.noelgay.com. Retrieved 3 January 2018.