Steven Geray (born István Gyergyay, 10 November 1904 – 26 December 1973) was a Hungarian-born American film actor who appeared in over 100 films and dozens of television programs. Geray appeared in Spellbound (1945), Gilda (1946), In a Lonely Place (1950), All About Eve (1950), Call Me Madam (1953) and To Catch a Thief (1955).
10 November 1904
|Died||26 December 1973 69) (aged|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
(m. 1934; died 1945)
Roanne Ollafay Threet
(m. 19??; his death 1973)
He was born in Ungvár, Austria-Hungary (now Uzhgorod, Ukraine) and educated at the University of Budapest. He made his first stage appearance at the Hungarian National Theater under his real name and after nearly four years he made his London stage debut (as Steven Geray) in 1934, appearing in Happy Week-End!. He began appearing in English-speaking films in 1935 and moved to Hollywood in 1941. He appeared alongside his wife, Magda Kun, whom he married in 1934, in the 1935 film Dance Band.
Political pressure led to Geray's exit from Europe. His act in the Folies Bergère included impersonations of Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini, which incurred the wrath of the governments of Germany and Italy. Geray failed to heed their warnings to stop the impersonations. After being beaten up, however, he moved to Hollywood.
Geray was cast as the lead in a low-budget film noir So Dark the Night (1946). Even with its limited budget, it received great critical reviews and enabled its director Joseph H. Lewis to later direct A-pictures. Geray continued to work on television and in films into the 1960s. Among them a guest appearance on Perry Mason in 1962 as extortionist and murder victim Franz Moray in "The Case of the Stand-in Sister", three episodes of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show as French dress designer Gaston Broussard in 1956, including the over the top "A Paris Creation" and various doctor roles on The Danny Thomas Show.
- Mária növér (1929)
- Csókolj meg, édes! (1932) - Pali, medikus
- Spring Shower (1932) - Urasági intézõ
- Flying Gold (1932) - Bálint György, az Esti Hírek újságírója
- Pardon, tévedtem (1933)
- Az ellopott szerda (1933) - Tamás István, rádióriporter
- Dance Band (1935) - Steve Sarel
- The Student's Romance (1935) - Mickey
- A Star Fell from Heaven (1936) - Willi Wass
- Let's Make a Night of It (1937) - Luigi
- Modern Girls (1937) - Székely Feri
- Családi pótlék (1937) - Kovács Péter
- Premiere (1938) - Frolich
- Lightning Conductor (1938) - Morley
- Inspector Hornleigh (1939) - Michael Kavanos
- Dark Streets of Cairo (1940) - Bellboy
- Man at Large (1941) - Karl Botany, alias C.B. Haldane
- The Shanghai Gesture (1941) - Man in Casino Helping Boris (uncredited)
- Blue, White and Perfect (1942) - Vanderhoefen
- A Gentleman at Heart (1942) - Don Fernando
- Castle in the Desert (1942) - Dr. Retling
- Secret Agent of Japan (1942) - Alecsandri
- The Wife Takes a Flyer (1942) - Gestapo Agent (uncredited)
- The Mad Martindales (1942) - Jan Van Der Venne
- Eyes in the Night (1942) - Mr. Anderson
- The Moon and Sixpence (1942) - Dirk Stroeve
- Once Upon a Honeymoon (1942) - Café Waiter (uncredited)
- Assignment in Brittany (1943) - Priest (uncredited)
- Above Suspicion (1943) - Anton - Woodcarver (uncredited)
- Night Plane from Chungking (1943) - Rev. Dr. Ven Der Lieden
- Henry Aldrich Swings It (1943) - Frank 'Silky' Ganz (uncredited)
- Pilot #5 (1943) - Major Eichel
- Background to Danger (1943) - Ludwig Rader (uncredited)
- Appointment in Berlin (1943) - Henri Rader (uncredited)
- Hostages (1943) - Mueller
- Phantom of the Opera (1943) - Vercheres
- Whistling in Brooklyn (1943) - Whitey
- Meet the People (1944) - Uncle Felix
- The Mask of Dimitrios (1944) - Karel Bulic
- The Seventh Cross (1944) - Dr. Loewenstein
- Resisting Enemy Interrogation (1944) - Dr. Victor Münz - Camp Doctor (uncredited)
- In Society (1944) - Baron Sergei
- The Conspirators (1944) - Dr. Schmitt
- Hotel Berlin (1945) - Kleibert
- Tarzan and the Amazons (1945) - Brenner
- Spellbound (1945) - Dr. Graff
- The Crimson Canary (1945) - Vic Miller
- Mexicana (1945) - Laredo
- Cornered (1945) - Señor Tomas Camargo
- Deadline at Dawn (1946) - Edward Honig
- Gilda (1946) - Uncle Pio
- So Dark the Night (1946) - Henri Cassin
- Blondie Knows Best (1946) - Dr. Schmidt
- The Return of Monte Cristo (1946) - Bombelles
- The Unfaithful (1947) - Martin Barrow
- Blind Spot (1947) - Lloyd Harrison
- Mr. District Attorney (1947) - Berotti
- Gunfighters (1947) - Jose - aka Uncle Joe
- When a Girl's Beautiful (1947) - Stacy Dorn
- The Crime Doctor's Gamble (1947) - Jules Daudet
- I Love Trouble (1948) - Keller
- Port Said (1948) - Alexis Tacca
- The Dark Past (1948) - Prof. Fred Linder
- Ladies of the Chorus (1948) - Salisbury
- The Lone Wolf and His Lady (1949) - Mynher Van Groot
- El Paso (1949) - Mexican Joe
- Sky Liner (1949) - Bokejian
- Once More, My Darling (1949) - Kalzac
- Holiday in Havana (1949) - Lopez
- Tell It to the Judge (1949) - Francois, Headwaiter (uncredited)
- Under My Skin (1950) - Bartender (uncredited)
- Harbor of Missing Men (1950) - Captain Corcoris
- Beware of Blondie (1950) - Matre'd Coq D'or (uncredited)
- In a Lonely Place (1950) - Paul, Headwaiter
- The Second Woman (1950) - Balthazar Jones
- A Lady Without Passport (1950) - Frenchman, Palinov's Tout
- Woman on the Run (1950) - Dr. Hohler
- All About Eve (1950) - Captain of Waiters
- Pygmy Island (1950) - Leon Marko
- Target Unknown (1951) - Jean
- I Can Get It for You Wholesale (1951) - Bettini (uncredited)
- The House on Telegraph Hill (1951) - Dr. Burkhardt
- Savage Drums (1951) - Borodoff
- Little Egypt (1951) - Pasha
- My Favorite Spy (1951) - Croupier (uncredited)
- Lady Possessed (1952) - Dr. Stepanek
- Bal Tabarin (1952) - Inspector Manet
- Affair in Trinidad (1952) - Wittol
- The Big Sky (1952) - 'Frenchy' Jourdonnais
- O. Henry's Full House (1952) - Boris Radolf (segment "The Last Leaf") (uncredited)
- Night Without Sleep (1952) - George (uncredited)
- Tonight We Sing (1953) - Prager
- The Story of Three Loves (1953) - Legay (segment "Equilibrium") (uncredited)
- Call Me Madam (1953) - Prime Minister Sebastian
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) - Hotel Manager
- The Golden Blade (1953) - Barcus
- The Royal African Rifles (1953) - Van Stede
- The French Line (1953) - François, Ship Steward
- The Great Diamond Robbery (1954) - Van Goosen
- Paris Playboys (1954) - Dr. Gaspard
- Knock on Wood (1954) - Dr. Kreuger
- Tobor the Great (1954) - The Foreign Spy-Chief
- New York Confidential (1955) - Morris Franklin
- A Bullet for Joey (1955) - Raphael Garcia
- Daddy Long Legs (1955) - Emile (uncredited)
- To Catch a Thief (1955) - Hotel Desk Clerk (uncredited)
- Kiss of Fire (1955) - Ship Captain Bellon
- Artists and Models (1955) - Kurt's Associate (uncredited)
- The Adventures of Fu Manchu (1956) - Otto Helgaard
- The Birds and the Bees (1956) - Bartender (uncredited)
- Attack (1956) - Otto - German NCO
- Stagecoach to Fury (1956) - Nichols
- The Gift of Love (1958) - Toy Shop Owner (uncredited)
- A Certain Smile (1958) - Denis
- Verboten! (1959) - Mayor (Burghermeister) of Rothbach
- Count Your Blessings (1959) - Guide
- Perry Mason (1962, TV Series) - Franz Moray
- Bonanza (1962, TV Series) - Alexander Dubois
- Dime with a Halo (1963) - Priest
- The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) - Dr. Sergado (additional sequence: US) (uncredited)
- Wild and Wonderful (1964) - Bartender
- Ship of Fools (1965) - Steward aboard Vera (uncredited)
- Our Man Flint (1966) - Israeli Diplomat (uncredited)
- Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966) - Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein
- The Swinger (1966) - Man with Fish (final film role)
- "Steven Geray".
- "Steven Geray - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Wilson, Scott (2016). Resting Places: The Burial Sites of More Than 14,000 Famous Persons, 3d ed. (2 volume set). McFarland. p. 275. ISBN 9780786479924. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Steve Geray - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Steven Geray - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- McFarlane, Brian (16 May 2016). "The Encyclopedia of British Film: Fourth edition". Oxford University Press – via Google Books.
- "Dance Band (1935) - Marcel Varnel - Cast and Crew - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Steven Geray Exiled to Fortune". The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. New York, Brooklyn. 1 December 1946. p. 34. Retrieved November 11, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "So Dark the Night (1946) - Joseph H. Lewis - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "So Dark the Night (1946) - Articles - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- "Perry Mason: The Case of the Stand-in Sister (1962) - Allen Miner - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "CTVA US Comedy - "The Burns And Allen Show" (McCadden/CBS) Season 6 (1955-56)". ctva.biz.
- "The Danny Thomas Show". TVGuide.com.