Steven C. McConnell is an author of software engineering textbooks such as Code Complete, Rapid Development, and Software Estimation. He is cited as an expert in software engineering and project management.
McConnell graduated with a bachelor's degree in philosophy, minoring in computer science, at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, and a master's degree in software engineering from Seattle University. He then pursued a career in the desktop software industry, working at Microsoft, Boeing, the Russell Investment Group and several other Seattle area firms. At Microsoft, McConnell worked on TrueType as part of Windows 3.1. At Boeing, he worked on a Strategic Defense Initiative project.
McConnell published his first book, Code Complete, in 1993.
- Michael Krigsman (July 23, 2010). "Top thinkers in project management today". ZDNet. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Gregory B. Russell (2007). "A systems analysis of complex software product development dynamics and methods". DSpace@MIT. MIT. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Detlev J. Hoch, ed. (2000). Secrets of Software Success: Management Insights from 100 Software Firms. Harvard Business Press. p. 191. ISBN 1578511054. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Dwayne Phillips (2004). The Software Project Manager's Handbook: Principles That Work at Work. John Wiley & Sons. p. 472. ISBN 0471674206. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Stwart Baird (2002). SAMS Tech Yourself Extreme Programming in 24 Hours. SAMS Publishing. p. 406. ISBN 0672324415. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Steve McConnell; Scott Berkun (2009). "Better Practices: An Interview with Steve McConnell". In Andrew Stellman, Jennifer Greene (eds.). Beautiful Teams: Inspiring and Cautionary Tales from Veteran Team Leaders. O'Reilly Media. p. 205. ISBN 059680492X. Retrieved 2015-04-13.CS1 maint: uses editors parameter (link)
- Warren Harrison (2003). "Our 20th Anniversary". IEEE Software. 20 (6): 5–7. doi:10.1109/MS.2003.10026.