Stefan Oschmann (born 25 July 1957) is a German businessman, who has served as the chief executive officer (CEO) and chairman of the executive board of the Germany-based Merck Group since April 2016. Before joining the Merck Group, Oschmann worked for Merck & Co., in a range of senior executive positions in Europe and the developing world, from 1989 to 2011.
|Born||25 July 1957|
|Alma mater||LMU (PhD in veterinary medicine, 1985)|
|Title||Chairman and CEO, Merck Group|
Oschmann was born on 25 July 1957 in Würzburg, Germany. He holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Oschmann started his career at an agency of the International Atomic Energy Agency. In 1987 he started working for the German Animal Health Federation (Bundesverband für Tiergesundheit), the trade association for German manufacturers of veterinary drugs and feed additives.
From 1989 to 2011, Oschmann worked for Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD), the European operations of Merck & Co. He was managing director of MSD Austria from 1994, vice president for Central and Eastern Europe from 1998, vice president of MSD Europe and managing director of MSD Germany from 1999, senior vice president for worldwide human health marketing from 2005, president for Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Canada from 2006 and finally MSD's president of emerging markets from 2009 to 2011.
Oschmann joined the Merck Group, the original parent company of MSD which is now a separate company, as a member of the executive board in 2011, and was responsible for the healthcare business sector until the end of 2014. He became vice chairman of the executive board and deputy CEO of the Merck Group in 2015. Oschmann became the chairman of the executive board and CEO of the Merck Group in April 2016, succeeding Karl-Ludwig Kley.
- Allianz, Member of the Joint Advisory Board
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EPFIA), President (since 2017)
- Deutsche Welle, Member of the Business Advisory Board
- Deutsches Museum, Member of the Board of Trustees
- European Round Table of Industrialists (ERT), Member
- German Chemical Industry Association (VCI), Member of the Executive Committee
- Munich Security Conference, Member of the Advisory Council
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA), President (2014-2016)
Oschmann is married and has two children.
- "2016 IFPMA General Assembly Biographies" (PDF). IFPMA. p. 4. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 June 2017.
- "Stefan Oschmann". DLD Conference. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- GmbH, Echo Zeitungen. "Zur Person: Stefan Oschmann". Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Bundesverband für Tiergesundheit" (in German). Vet Magazin. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Stefan Oschmann | Big Think". bigthink.com. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Merck-Chef Stefan Oschmann über den Kampf gegen den Krebs und die Konkurrenz von Google". DER SPIEGEL. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- Stefan Oschmann, Merck
- Divac, Natascha (13 October 2015). "Germany's Merck Names New CEO". WSJ. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Merck promotes Oschmann as CEO to replace Kley, The Financial Times, 13 October 2015
- Germany, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt. "Stefan Oschmann - CV - The Merck Group". www.merckgroup.com. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- "Merck KGaA showing Teva the way?". Globes.
- "EFPIA: Stefan Oschmann zum Präsidenten gewählt". CHEManager International (in German). 17 June 2017.
- Board of Trustees Deutsches Museum.
- Members European Round Table of Industrialists.
- "Vorstand & Präsidium - Verband der Chemischen Industrie e.V. (VCI)". www.vci.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- Advisory Council Munich Security Conference.
- "Stefan Oschmann elected new President of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA) – IFPMA". www.ifpma.org. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
| CEO of the Merck Group