Steamboat Round the Bend
Steamboat Round the Bend is a 1935 American comedy film directed by John Ford, released by 20th Century Fox and produced by Fox Film Corporation, based on the 1933 novel of the same name by author Ben Lucien Burman. It was the penultimate film of star Will Rogers and was released posthumously, after he was killed in an airplane crash on August 15, 1935.
|Steamboat Round the Bend|
Film poster by Joseph A. Maturo
|Directed by||John Ford|
|Produced by||Sol M. Wurtzel|
|Written by||Ben Lucien Burman|
|Edited by||Alfred DeGaetano|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$1.3 million|
A con man enters his steamboat in a winner-take-all steamboat race in the 1890s with a rival while attempting to find an eyewitness that will save his nephew, who has been wrongly convicted of murder, from the gallows.
- Will Rogers as Doctor John Pearly
- Anne Shirley as Fleety Belle
- Irvin S. Cobb as Captain Eli
- Eugene Pallette as Sheriff Rufe Jeffers
- John McGuire as Duke
- Berton Churchill as New Moses
- Francis Ford as Efe
- Roger Imhof as Breck's Pappy
- Raymond Hatton as Matt Abel
- Hobart Bosworth as Chaplain
- Stepin Fetchit as Jonah
- Jack Murray was likely an uncredited editor on this film; see Pommer, John E. (July 24, 1994). "The Eyes Had It". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
I enjoyed Kenneth Turan's article on John Ford. Almost 60 years ago, I worked as assistant film editor on his "Steamboat 'Round the Bend." The film editor was Jack Murray, who often worked with Ford.Pommer is the son of Erich Pommer.
- Quigley Publishing Company "The All Time Best Sellers", International Motion Picture Almanac 1937-38 (1938) p 942 accessed April 19, 2014
- Sennwald, Andre (September 20, 1935). "MOVIE REVIEW: Steamboat Round the Bend (1935)". The New York Times.
- Steamboat 'round the bend (DVD (region 1)). 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. 2006. OCLC 70863144.
- John Ford's American comedies (DVD (region 1)). 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. 2007. OCLC 232835853.