Statue of John Wesley, St Paul's Churchyard
The statue of John Wesley, St Paul's Churchyard is an outdoor bronze sculpture depicting the theologian, cleric and co-founder of the religious movement known as Methodism, John Wesley. The statue is located northwest corner of St Paul's Churchyard, London, England, and was erected in 1988. It was cast from a sculpture created by Samuel Manning and his son between 1825 and 1849.
On 24 to 26 May, 1738, Wesley worshipped in the nearby Chancel of the Cathedral. The statue is 5 foot 1 inches high, Wesley's height in life, and depicts him wearing a cassock and holding a bible in his left hand. An inscription on the front of the plinth reads:
By Grace ye are saved through Faith
John Wesley, Father of Methodism, 1703–1791, priest, poet, teacher of the Faith.
Samuel Manning's original sculpture was in plaster and was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1825. After Manning the Elder's death, his son recreated the sculpture in marble, and it is now situated in the Methodist Central Hall, Westminster.
- "St Paul's Cathedral & Churchyard". Methodist Heritage. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Margaret Baker (2002). Discovering London Statues and Monuments. Osprey Publishing. p. 146. ISBN 978-0-7478-0495-6.
- "John Wesley (Statue), St. Paul's Churchyard". Public Monuments and Sculpture Association. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- J. Keith Cheetham (2003). On the Trail of John Wesley. Dundurn. p. 83. ISBN 978-1-84282-023-0.
- "Statue: John Wesley statue". London Remembers. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
Media related to Statue of John Wesley, St Paul's Churchyard, London at Wikimedia Commons