Statehood Day (Croatia)
Statehood Day (Croatian: Dan državnosti pronounced [dan dr̩ʒaʋnosti]) is a holiday that occurs every year on 30 May in Croatia to celebrate the constitution of the first modern multi-party Croatian Parliament in 1990. The Statehood Day is the national day of Croatia, being both an official holiday and a day off work.
Croatian flags on Statehood Day, 2007
|Official name||Croatian: Dan državnosti|
|Significance||Anniversary of the constitution of the 1990 Croatian Parliament|
|Next time||30 May 2020|
On 30 May 1990, the first modern multi-party Croatian Parliament convened, following the 1990 Croatian parliamentary election. This date was from 1990 to 2002 marked as the Statehood Day. The Government of Ivica Račan moved the Statehood Day to 25 June in 2002, and 30 May was marked as a minor holiday, one that was not an off-day. On 25 June, after the independence referendum held on 19 May 1991, Croatia proclaimed its independence, but due to the negotiation of the Brioni Agreement, a three-month moratorium was placed on the implementation of the decision and the Parliament cut all remaining ties with Yugoslavia on 8 October 1991. 8 October was celebrated as the Independence Day from 2002 to 2019.
- "Dan državnosti ponovno će se slaviti 30. svibnja, a uvodi se novi blagdan i neradni dan 18. studenog". Večernji list (in Croatian). 14 November 2019. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "Dan državnosti – Tri rođendana: Svaki datum ima povijesno značenje za Hrvatsku". Večernji list (in Croatian). 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- Croatian Parliament (2002-11-21). "Zakon o blagdanima, spomendanima i neradnim danima u Republici Hrvatskoj". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (136/2002). Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Odluka Sabora Republike Hrvatske o raskidu državno-pravne sveze s ostalim republikama i pokrajinama SFRJ (8. listopada 1991.)" [Decision of the Parliament of the Republic of Croatia on the termination of all state and legal ties with other republics and provinces of SFRY (8 October 1991)]. Povijest saborovanja (in Croatian). Croatian Parliament. 1991-10-08. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Hrvatska proslavila Dan državnosti". Poslovni dnevnik (in Croatian). 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Dan državnosti: Ivo Josipović, Jadranka Kosor i Luka Bebić na Ovčari". Jutarnji list (in Croatian). 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-06-25.