StarPlus is an Indian pay television channel owned by Star India. The network's programming consists of family dramas, comedies, youth-oriented reality shows, shows on crime and television films. It is also distributed internationally by The Walt Disney Company India, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.
|Launched||21 February 1992|
|Owned by||Star India|
(The Walt Disney Company India)
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i/576i for the SDTV feed)
|Slogan||Rishta Wahi, Baat Nayi|
|Sister channel(s)||Star Bharat|
Star Utsav Movies
Star Gold Select
Star Movies Select
Star World Premiere
Star Jalsha Movies
Star Maa Movies
Star Maa Gold
Star Maa Music
Star Suvarna Plus
Star Vijay Super
Nat Geo Wild
Nat Geo People
Nat Geo Music
Disney International HD
|StarTimes (Africa)||Channel 506|
|Videocon D2H||Channel 101 (SD)|
Channel 902 (HD)
|DSTV (Sub-Saharan Africa)||channel 453|
|Dish TV||Channel 113 (SD) |
Channel 112 (HD)
|Dish Home (Nepal)||Channel 201 (SD)|
Channel 903 (HD)
|StarSat (South Africa)||Channel 552|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 705 (HD) |
Channel 883 (SD)
|Dialog TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 105|
|CanalSat Maurice (Mauritius)||Channel 148|
|OSN (Middle East and North Africa)||Channel 275|
|SKY TV (New Zealand)||Channel 150|
|Vision Asia (Australia and New Zealand)||Channel 5|
|Channel 108 (Selection Programs Only)|
|Tata Sky||Channel 117 (SD)|
Channel 115 (HD)
Channel 116 (HD +1)
|Cignal Digital TV||Channel 173|
|Airtel Digital TV||Channel 105 (SD)|
Channel 106 (HD)
|Reliance Digital TV||Channel 206 (SD)|
Channel 230 (HD)
|Sun Direct||Channel 306 (SD)|
Channel 872 (HD)
|DEN Networks||Channel 101|
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 857|
|Sreedevi digital||Channel 201|
|Asianet Digital TV||Channel 501 (SD)|
Channel 848 (HD)
|SkyCable/Destiny Cable(Philippines)||Channel 128 (Digital)|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 126|
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 803 (HD)|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 171|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 246 (Digital)|
|Ziggo (Netherlands)||Channel 760|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 656|
|My.T (Mauritius)||Channel 33|
|PEO TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 88|
|Now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 794|
|Macau Cable TV (Macau)||Channel 524|
|World On Demand (Japan)||Channel 711|
When it was first launched on 21 February 1992, StarPlus was an English-language television channel showing international TV shows from the U.S., the UK and Australia, with Zee TV being the Hindi-language counterpart. However, after Star ended its relationship with Zee TV, Star Plus was transformed into a Hindi-language channel, with Star World becoming the network's English-language counterpart channel.
In 2000, the company's CEO Sameer Nair and programming chief Tarun Katial introduced a number of new shows, which helped to solidify the channel's position as the leader in the Hindi-language television broadcasting area.
It launched in the United States in November 2004.
The channel's high-definition feed was launched on 15 April 2011. It carries the same schedule as the SD feed, but with different commercials. Star Plus HD was set to launch in both the United Kingdom and Ireland by the end of 2011, but it was delayed until 5 July 2012.
Star ended transmission of traditional networks in the American market on January 4, 2019, deciding instead to market its Hotstar streaming service direct to consumers as a better overall value than the few linear channels in the suite, which were often marked up by pay television providers to justify their carriage costs, and months before the consummation of the Fox/Disney merger; Hotstar is marketed by The Walt Disney Company as one of the deal's prime assets.
- "Description about the Channel Star Plus". Times Of India.
- Flegg, Michael (10 September 2001). "India's Star TV Leaps to Top Spot Due to Game Shows, Soap Operas". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 19 September 2001.
- "Zee: Life after Star, and vice-versa". Equity Master.
- "History Star Plus Global". Star Plus Global. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "YuppTV Launches Star Plus and Life OK Channels in USA". Business Wire.
- "Star TV India Launches Five HD Channels". Hollywood Reporter.
- Star Plus UK to launch HD Channel – http://media247.co.uk/bizasia/newsarchive/2011/02/exclusive_star_5.php
- Star Plus HD UK date confirmed – http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/star-plus-hd-to-launch-in-july-in-uk
- "&TV replace Star Plus to be part of the ATN HD channel". Asian Television.
- "Starting January 5, STAR India's TV Channels will be streaming ONLY on Hotstar in the US". PR Newswire.
- Baddhan, Raj (7 December 2018). "Star TV to shutdown television operations in USA". BizAsia. Retrieved 11 August 2019.