Stanley Fort is a military installation on the south side of Hong Kong Island. Built originally to serve the British Armed Forces, it now houses the Hong Kong garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Ground Force. It has also been used as Kai Chi Children's Centre and the Aberdeen Rehabilitation Centre.
Location within Hong Kong
|Built for||War Office|
|Occupants||People's Liberation Army Ground Force|
The fort, which occupied a site of 128 hectares, was founded in 1841 on the Stanley Peninsula at the southern side of Hong Kong Island. It had barracks and officers quarters. Coastal artillery batteries protected Victoria Harbour. During the Battle of Hong Kong in December 1941, the fort was where British and Canadian troops mounted a final last stand. The survivors were the first Commonwealth troops to surrender to Japanese forces. The fallen servicemen were buried in the nearby Stanley Military Cemetery.
The fort then became an internment camp for the remainder of the Second World War. In the late 1940s, Stanley Fort reverted to its former purpose as a British Army barracks. By the early 1950s the fort was base of the 27th Heavy Anti-aircraft Regiment and a small workshop operated by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. The fort had three-storied barracks, a two-storey NAAFI, medical facilities and a Company HQ building. It also had a parade ground and vehicle and equipment park. In 1997, control was handed to the People's Liberation Army following the Transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong.
- "Barracks involved" (PDF). Hong Kong Standard. 24 March 1985.
- "Stanley Barracks". Britain at War. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "1997 St. Barbara - Garrison Church of Stanley Fort". Gwulo. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Item 353" (PDF). Antiques & Monuments Office. Retrieved 26 June 2016.