Standing in Another Man's Grave
Standing in Another Man's Grave is the eighteenth instalment in the bestselling Inspector Rebus series of crime novels, published in 2012. The title of the book is a mondegreen, Rankin having misheard the Scottish singer songwriter Jackie Leven singing "Standing in Another Man's Rain", which mistake he gives to Rebus. Excerpts from Leven's songs appear with each division of the book.
|Preceded by||Exit Music|
|Followed by||Saints of the Shadow Bible|
Having been retired from the police for five years, Rebus continues to investigate as part of the cold cases unit. The mother of a missing girl enlists his help in finding out what happened to her daughter, leading Rebus to uncover the truth about a series of seemingly unconnected disappearances stretching back to the millennium.
Jake Kerridge, writing in The Telegraph, gave the novel four stars out of five and concurs with Alison Flood (The Guardian) that Detective Inspector Malcolm Fox, who was in the two novels before this one, is a poor character when up against Rebus, which he is frequently in this book.
The Metro gave the book two stars out of five calling it "Mediocre at best" and noted that the door remains open for another Rebus novel; "Let's hope it's better than this one." Similarly, John Dugdale, writing in The Sunday Times, said that "Rebus’s comeback novel is hence a bewildering mixture of good and bad, interlacing an impeccably crafted whodunnit."
- "Ian talks about STANDING IN ANOTHER MAN'S GRAVE". Ian Rankin. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Flood, Alison (18 November 2012). "Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Standing in Another Man's Grave". Ian Rankin. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Kerridge, Jake (5 November 2012). "Rebus novel: Standing in Another Man's Grave, by Ian Rankin, review". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Ian Rankin brings back Rebus – but the results are mediocre at best". Metro. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- Dugdale, John (4 November 2012). "Standing In Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 28 October 2018.