St Francis Roman Catholic Grammar School
For the school of the same name in Quetta, Pakistan, see St Francis Grammar School.
|St Francis RC Grammar School|
|Motto||Cervus ad Fontes|
(Latin for The Hart to the Font)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Father Francis Dunne|
|Final Headmaster||Canon Bell|
|Diocese||Hexham and Newcastle|
St Francis RC Grammar School, also known as St Francis Xavier Grammar School, was a Catholic grammar school for boys, in Hartlepool, County Durham, England. It opened on 17 September 1956 and was subsumed into The English Martyrs School and Sixth Form College along with St Joseph's Convent School and four more local Catholic schools in 1973. It was run by the Xaverian Brothers.
|Headteacher||Start year||End year|
|Brother Anselm BA||1956||undated|
|Canon John "Dickie" Bell.||undated||1973|
Teachers and Brothers
|Father John Bell||Latin||Became a Canon and Headmaster of both St Francis and later The English Martyrs School and Sixth Form College.|
|Brother Cuthbert||Maths and Football|
|Mrs Shirley Corcoran||Biology||First full-time female teacher at the school.|
|Mr Wm. Lanford BSc||unknown|
|Mr Chris Lawton||Chemistry and Geography|
|Mr Gilles Legal||French & Russian|
|Mr Patrick (Paddy) Alley.||Maths and Rugby|
|Mr Ian Bewick||Art|
|Mr David Hudson||Chemistry|
|Father Fred Martin||English|
|Mr Jack McCabe||P.E.|
|Father Frank McCabe||Latin|
|Mr Derek Mylroi||Geography|
|Mr Patrick Naughton||English|
|Mr Vin Shanley||History||Later became Headmaster at St Michael's Roman Catholic School in Billingham as well as publishing several books containing "hilarious stories".|
|Mr David Turley||Maths|
|Mrs Bell||Dinner Lady|
There were four houses within the school: Percy, Swalwell, Errington, and Thirkeld. In the same way as the later English Martyrs School and Sixth Form College would name its houses after the English Martyrs, the houses of St Francis Grammar School were named after the following:
- John Swalwell, who can be found on the list of abbots of Monkwearmouth-Jarrow Abbey as Master of Wearmouth in 1526 and Master of Jarrow in 1531.
- Over 150 members plus photos: http://www.schoolfriends.com.au/School.page/St_Francis_Xavier/10822/Details
- Over 100 members: http://www.friendsreunited.com/School.page/St_Francis_Grammar_School/411118/Details
- (2008).Canoe woman Anne Darwin 'one of the greatest actresses in the world'.The Telegraph.
- The Catholic Church in Hartlepool and West Hartlepool, 1834-1964, A Souvenir of Progress. Glasgow: John S. Burns & Sons. 1965.
- Hall,G.(2005).Saints and sinners.The Hartlepool Mail.
- (2007).Will you be mentioned?.The Hartlepool Mail.
- (2000).BIG LAUGHS DUE TO SMALL TALK .The Hartlepool Mail.
- ST FRANCIS GRAMMAR SCHOOL.Museum of Hartlepool.
- (2011).The White House, Hartlepool.The Telegraph.
- (2010).Wherever I go in the world, people tell me how impressed they are when they visit Durham, and I feel the same way..The Free Library.