St Anthony in Roseland
The parish church of St Anthony was built in 1150 and dedicated to St Antoninus King and Martyr. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The church was established by the prior of the Augustinian Priory at Plympton in Devon. The site of the former priory is now the site of the house of the Spry family, Place, which was built in 1840 in front of the church. After the dissolution of 1538 part of the priory was used as a residence and parts were pulled down: much of the stone went towards the building of St Mawes Castle. The church still has its original mediaeval cruciform plan, more or less as it was built in the 12th and 13th centuries, despite having been extensively restored in the 19th century. The restoration was commissioned by Samuel Thomas Spry, Member of Parliament (MP) for Bodmin between 1832 and 1841, who employed his cousin, the Revd Clement Carlyon to rebuild the chancel, and install the wooden roofs, floor tiles and stained glass. The church contains monuments to members of the Spry family. The tower is above the crossing and has a spire of timber and lead; there are many memorials of the Spry family including Sir Richard Spry. The church is now one of three in the care of the priest-in-charge of Gerrans and Philleigh.
- Historic England. "Church of Saint Anthony (1141049)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "St Anthony, Roseland". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- Cornish Church Guide (1925) Truro: Blackford; pp. 55-56
- Pevsner, N. (1970) Cornwall, 2nd ed. Penguin Books, p. 156