St. Paul's Cathedral, Dundee
|Cathedral Church of Saint Paul|
|Denomination||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Provost||Very Rev Jeremy Auld|
At the time of Bishop Forbes' arrival, St. Paul's Chapel met in rooms in nearby Castle Street, which Forbes considered to be dreary and "unworthy of the worship of the Almighty". Thus, he "urged his people to take on the holy work of building, to the glory of God, a stately church", a place which would offer refuge to the many poor that lived in the surrounding tenements.
The foundation stone of the Cathedral was laid on 21 July 1853 and it was completed in 1855. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and is in the style of the Middle or Decorated period of Gothic architecture.
St. Paul's was raised to cathedral status in 1905 and is now a category A listed building.
- Gough, John Edward; Notes on the History and Fabric of the Church of St. Paul, Dundee; Winter, Duncan & Co., Castle Street, Dundee; 1888
- Historic Environment Scotland. "Castle Hill, St Paul's Episcopal Cathedral, including Steps and Boundary Wall (Category A) (LB24997)". Retrieved 26 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Paul's Cathedral, Dundee.|