St. Andrews Knights
The St. Andrews Knights are the athletic teams for St. Andrews University in Laurinburg, North Carolina. The university is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), primarily competing in Appalachian Athletic Conference. The Knights also compete in the Mid-South Conference for wrestling and swimming.
|St. Andrews Knights|
|University||St. Andrews University|
|Conference||Appalachian Athletic Conference|
|Athletic director||Glenn Batten|
|Location||Laurinburg, North Carolina|
|Football stadium||Carl Ullrich Fitness Center|
|Basketball arena||Harris Court|
|Colors||Royal Blue and White|
St. Andrews was formerly a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) at the Division II level, primarily competing in Conference Carolinas from 1988 to 2012. The university transitioned to the NAIA after 23 years in the NCAA, following the end of the 2011-12 academic year.
In addition to the 19 NAIA sports, St. Andrews sponsors an extensive equestrian program. The St. Andrews Equestrian Team has won American National Riding Commission (ANRC) national champions in 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2007; in addition the Knights finished Reserve Champion at the ANRC Intercollegiate National Championships in 2004 and 2006. The program won two Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) Zone Hunter Seat All-Star Championships in 2002 and 2004; six IHSA Hunter Seat Reserve Regional Team Championships in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007; six IHSA Western Regional Team Championships in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011; and qualified for the Intercollegiate Dressage Association (IDA) National Final eight times (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, and 2010).
- "Schools". NAIA.ORG. NAIA. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Members". Appalachian Athletic Conference. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Mid South Conference".
- Smith, Matt (October 24, 2011). "St. Andrews makes shift to NAIA". Laurinburg Exchange. Archived from the original on December 23, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "The History of St. Andrews University". St. Andrews University. Archived from the original on August 10, 2014. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "St. Andrews Equestrian Program". St. Andrews University. Archived from the original on November 16, 2004. Retrieved October 25, 2011.