Southwest Early College Campus
Southwest Early College Campus, often shortened to Southwest, was a university preparatory middle school and high school campus located at 6512 Wornall Road in Kansas City, Missouri, 64113, United States. It was part of the Kansas City, Missouri School District. The school closed on May 17, 2016.
|Southwest Early College Campus|
6512 Wornall Road,
|Established||1927, August 2008|
|Closed||May 17, 2016|
|Color(s)||Orange and black|
Students had the opportunity to take college-level courses with the potential to earn from 20 to 60 college credits and prepare for the rigors of college through a mix of training and relationships with professors and master teachers from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. By the time a student graduated from Southwest, they would have earned those hours of college credit from the university.
The school opened in August 2008 for students in the 6th and 9th grade. The school later added grades 6, 7, 9, and 10.
The Early College Campus started with 240 students, and added approximately another 240 every year.
After the closure of Westport High School in 2010, Southwest Early College Campus took over the attendance zone of Westport.
- Robert Altman - film director
- Henry Bloch - co-founder of H&R Block
- Richard Bloch - co-founder of H&R Block
- Evan S. Connell - novelist, poet, and short story writer
- Chris Cooper - actor
- Michael Jones - pro football player
- R. Crosby Kemper - former president of UMB Financial Corporation
- Berton Roueché - medical writer; wrote for The New Yorker magazine for almost fifty years
- Richard Smalley - 1961 Nobel Prize winner
- Calvin Trillin - journalist, humorist, and novelist
- Avis Tucker - publisher of The Daily Star-Journal
- Ruth Warrick - actor; original All My Children cast member
- Sir Robert Worcester - top British political commentator and market research pioneer
- "SOUTHEAST HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- Andrea Tudhope (12 May 2016). "As Kansas City's Southwest High School Closes, Graduates Look Back On A Storied Past". KCUR. Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "NEW school boundaries for 2010-2011 School Year." Kansas City, Missouri School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011. "Southwest Early College Campus – (Assumes Westport High boundaries)"
- "Kansas City Missouri School District 2010/2011 Southwest High School Boundary. Kansas City, Missouri School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011.
- Joe Robertson (28 October 2011). "Partners pull out of Southwest's early college program". Kansas City Star. Archived from the original on 31 October 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Richard Bloch's Biography".