Southgate Centre is a shopping centre located in south Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, covering just under 90,000 square metres. It contains 165 retailers including The Bay, Aritzia, Zara, Michael Kors, HMV, Coach, Inc., Browns Shoes and Edmonton's only Restoration Hardware and Crate & Barrel. Apple opened a second store in Edmonton at Southgate Centre on May 28, 2010, and Edmonton's first Lego store opened in June 2013. The Centre is located adjacent to Whitemud Drive and 111 Street, and is located across from a transit bus station and the Southgate LRT Station.
|Location||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Address||5015 111 Street NW|
|No. of stores and services||160|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||940,986 sq ft (87,420.5 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
|Public transit access||Southgate station|
Following major expansion, the mall marked its reopening in August 2009, including a new food court and added parking. These expansions included 40 new stores under a new two-level parking deck and a station on the expansion of the Edmonton Light Rail Transit system, whose opening ceremony was on April 24, 2010. An Edmonton Public Library branch operated until 2002, when it relocated to nearby Whitemud Crossing.
- Sears Canada 24,435 square metres (263,020 sq ft) – closed January 8, 2018, replaced with Big Comfort on July 21, 2018-Now Closed
- Edmonton Public Library – closed 2002, now Dollarama
- Eatons – closed 1999, replaced with Sears Canada in 2000
- Woodward's – closed 1993-replaced with Eatons which closed in 1999
History and anniversary
On August 12, 2010, Southgate celebrated the 40th anniversary of its opening. When the centre opened with Woodward's, Woodward's Food Floor and The Bay, it was at the time the largest shopping centre west of Toronto and the first centre built in Alberta that housed two anchor department stores. In 1993, Woodward's went bankrupt; its space was converted to Eaton's, which left Heritage Mall. In addition, Safeway occupied the food floor of the former Woodward's. By 1999, Eaton's went bankrupt and its space became a Sears the following year, also relocating from the nearby Heritage Mall, which was subsequently decommissioned, demolished, and converted into a mixed-use development called Century Park.
- "Southgate Centre Plands & Tenants". Ivanhoe Cambridge. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Maimann, Kevin (2017-01-17). "Southgate is one of Top 5 most successful malls in Canada". Metro Edmonton. Retrieved 2018-04-03.