Southern Pacific class MC-6
Southern Pacific Company's MC-6 class of steam locomotives is made up of two batches: the first consisting of 15 locomotives weighing 435,800 pounds (197.7 tonnes) built in 1912, the second consisting of 5 locomotives weighing 437,100 lb (198.3 tonnes) built in 1913. All of the locomotives were built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. This was the last class of 2-8-8-2 locomotives that Southern Pacific (SP) ordered as cab forward locomotives.
|Southern Pacific class MC-6|
All but three of the locomotives in this class were rebuilt as the AC-3 class with "simpled" uniform cylinders of 22 in × 30 in (559 mm × 762 mm) by 1930. The last three were thus rebuilt in 1937. During the rebuild, 4¼-BL Worthington feedwater heaters were also installed on the fireman's side of the locomotives.
After their rebuilds, the locomotives were used through the end of World War II with the last one scrapped on August 20, 1949.
- Diebert, Timothy S. & Strapac, Joseph A. (1987). Southern Pacific Company Steam Locomotive Conpendium. Shade Tree Books. ISBN 0-930742-12-5.