South Sea Sinner
South Sea Sinner is a 1950 American adventure film directed by H. Bruce Humberstone and starring MacDonald Carey and Shelley Winters. It is a remake of Seven Sinners (1940). Liberace has a small role.
|South Sea Sinner|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||H. Bruce Humberstone|
|Produced by||Michael Kraike|
(as Michel Kraike)
|Written by||Joel Malone|
|Screenplay by||Joel Malone|
|Story by||Ladislas Fodor|
(as Laszlo Vadnay)
|Music by||Walter Scharf|
|Edited by||Ted J. Kent|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
A cafe owner on a South Sea island plays a dangerous game of blackmail with a fugitive from justice.
Filming took place in July 1949. Winters was accused of having a number of temperamental outbursts on set including a clash with Helena Carter. Winters admitted to being "nervous and tired" after making three films in five months and was "unused" to Humbersome's "close direction during song and dance scenes." She said she had to perform "a suggestive dance" when some exhibitors and their families visit the set and she was upset when an eight year old boy filmed her; she asked that he be removed to where she couldn't see him.
- Bosley Crowther. "'South Sea Sinner' Arrives at the Criterion--'Red Light' Comes to the Globe". The New York Times, January 16, 1950.
- By THOMAS F BRADY Special to The New York Times. (1949, Jul 01). JANET LEIGH GETS 2 RKO FILM LEADS. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/105964331
- HEDDA HOPPER. (1949, Jul 26). Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/165977394
- HEDDA HOPPER: Walker Will Costar With Singer Grayson Los Angeles Times (1923-1995); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]26 July 1949: 14.
- Scheuer, P. K. (1949, Nov 13). SHELLEY WINTERS MAY DO JEAN HARLOW'S LIFE. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/166060791
- THE SCREEN IN REVIEW: 'South Sea Sinner' Arrives at the Criterion-By BOSLEY CROWTHER. New York Times 16 Jan 1950: 18