South African and International Exhibition
|South African and International Exhibition|
Henry Loch, High Commissioner for Southern Africa who opened the exhibition
|Name||South African and International Exhibition|
|Area||30 acres (12 ha)|
|Opening||8 September 1892|
|Closure||10 January 1893|
Cecil Rhodes, Prime Minister of Cape Colony, decided that the exhibition should be held in Kimberley. It was held in the Public Gardens of Kimberley (now Queen's Park) on a 30-acre site, with corrugated iron buildings designed D. W. Greatbatch.
There were art displays including paintings from the Royal Collection, mineral displays of diamonds, coal, crocidolite, diamonds, gold and silver, mining machinery, and sheep shearing equipment.
The De Beers exhibit was taken to be displayed at the 1893 Chicago exhibition. The art hall was converted to be used by the Kimberley Rifles, and subsequently used as a typhoid hospital during the Boer war.
- "Cape Colony: South African International Exhibition, Kimberley". Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "1892 Kimberley South African and International Exposition – What Remains". Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Queens Park Kimberley • Kimberley • CITY PORTAL". Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "From the Great Exhibition to the Festival of Britain, 1851–1951" (PDF). p. 8. Archived (PDF) from the original on 21 September 2017. Retrieved 12 June 2017.