Sound Prints (subtitled Live at Monterey Jazz Festival) is a live album by trumpeter Dave Douglas and saxophonist Joe Lovano recorded at the 2013 Monterey Jazz Festival. It was released on the Blue Note label in 2015 and features a live performance by Douglas and Lovano with pianist Lawrence Fields, bassist Linda Oh and drummer Joey Baron playing original material and two new compositions by Wayne Shorter.
|Live album by|
|Recorded||September 21, 2013 at the Monterey Jazz Festival|
|Producer||Dave Douglas and Joe Lovano|
|Dave Douglas chronology|
|Joe Lovano chronology|
Allmusic awarded the album 4 stars, stating: "Ultimately, Sound Prints walk the line between muscular, tangible post-bop and free-flowing, avant-garde playing; a tantalizing dance that never fails to leave an impression". In JazzTimes, Michael J. West wrote "the real meat of the recording, and of the band, is their interplay: harmony, counterpoint, call-and-response. It’s not what one might expect from a project inspired by Wayne Shorter. But Sound Prints is less about Shorter’s individual style than his audacity and innovation, and on those fronts Live triumphs".
- "Sound Prints" (Joe Lovano) - 4:38
- "Sprints" (Dave Douglas) - 13:58
- "Destination Unknown" (Wayne Shorter) - 8:32
- "To Sail Beyond the Sunset" (Shorter) - 10:25
- "Weatherman" (Lovano) - 1:34
- "Power Ranger" (Douglas) - 12:45
- Spotlight: Joe Lovano and Dave Douglas Join Forces with Sound Prints, Blue Note Website, accessed July 21, 2015
- Collar, Matt. Sound Prints: Live at Monterey Jazz Festival – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- West, M. J., JazzTimes Review, April 21, 2015