Souderton Area School District
Souderton Area School District is a large, suburban public school district which covers an area of almost 50 square miles (130 km2) in the Montgomery County suburbs of Philadelphia. The district serves the municipalities of Souderton, Telford, Franconia, Lower Salford, Upper Salford, and Salford. By 2010, the population of the district had exceeded 43,109. The Souderton Area School District operates 3 secondary schools and 6 elementary schools. A new high school was built on Lower Road and was occupied in September 2009.
|Souderton Area School District|
|760 Lower Road|
|Closed||6862 pupils in 2011|
|Superintendent||Dr. Frank Gallagher|
|Budget||$9,541,144 USD in 2016|
The teachers union for the Souderton Area School District went on strike on Tuesday, September 2, 2008. The dispute was over wages and health-care benefits, among other things. The strike ended September 25, 2008 with the Teachers' Union's acceptance of a nonbinding arbitration report proposed by the Souderton Area School Board.
- Souderton Area High School
- Indian Crest Middle School
- Indian Valley Middle School
- E. Merton Crouthamel (EMC)
- Lower Salford (closed in June 2013)
- Oak Ridge
- Salford Hills
- West Broad Street
Souderton Area School District was ranked 51st out of 498 Pennsylvania school districts in 2012 by the Pittsburgh Business Times. The ranking was based on five years of student academic performance on the PSSAs for: reading, writing, math and three years of science.
- 2011 - 46th
- 2010 - 40th
- 2009 - 40th
- 2008 - 49th
- 2007 - 54th out of 501 Pennsylvania school districts.
Under former calculation formula:
11th Grade Reading
- 2011 - 88.2% on grade level (% below basic). State - 69.1% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2010 - 82.1% on grade level (6.4% below basic). In Pennsylvania, 66% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2009 - 80.1% (8.3% below basic), State - 65%
- 2008 - 82.1% (7.5% below basic), State - 65%
11th Grade Math:
- 2011 - 85.6% on grade level (4.7% below basic). In Pennsylvania, 60.3% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2010 - 83.9% (5.9% below basic). State - 59%
- 2009 - 73.2% (11.2% below basic). State - 56%.
- 2008 - 74.5% (11.6% below basic), State - 56%
11th Grade Science:
- Enrollment and Projections Report, Pennsylvania Department of Education, 2010
- It's all over! - The Reporter
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 1, 2011). "Statewide Honor Roll".
- "Three of top school districts in state hail from Allegheny County,". Pittsburgh Business Times. May 23, 2007. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011.
- "2009 PSSA RESULTS Souderton Area School District,". The Morning Call. Retrieved March 2011. Check date values in:
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2011). "Souderton Area School District Academic Achievement Report data table".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (March 15, 2011). "New 4-year Cohort Graduation Rate Calculation Now Being Implemented".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education. "Souderton Area School District Academic Achievement Report Card 2009". Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children. "High School Graduation rate 2007". Archived from the original on November 5, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2011). "SOUDERTON AREA SHS - School AYP Overview".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 29, 2011). "2010-2011 PSSA and AYP Results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2010). "2009-2010 PSSA and AYP Results".
- The Times-Tribune. (September 2009). "Grading Our Schools database, 2009 PSSA results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (August 2008). "2007-2008 PSSA and AYP Results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2009). "Souderton Area High School Academic Achievement Report Card 2009".
- The Times-Tribune. (2009). "Grading Our Schools database, 2009 Science PSSA results,".