Sony Pal (stylised as "Sony पल") is an Indian pay television channel that was launched on 1 September 2014. It was initially aimed at women with women-oriented Hindi-language programming, now focused on family-oriented programming. The channel is owned by Sony Pictures Networks. The channel is available on Dish Network and Sling TV in USA.
|Launched||1 September 2014|
|Owned by||Sony Pictures Networks|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Slogan||Yeh pal hamara hai|
(This moment is ours)
|Sister channel(s)||Sony TV|
Sony Max 2
Sony BBC Earth
|Reliance Digital TV||Channel 214|
|Dish TV||Channel 2422|
|Airtel Digital TV||Channel 132|
|Tata Sky||Channel 8|
|Videocon d2h||Channel 159|
|Sun Direct||Channel 313|
|Dish Network (United States)||Channel 696|
|Asianet Digital TV||Channel 511|
Sony Pal was launched in 1 September 2014 originally as a pay-TV channel, with Juhi Chawla as its ambassador. The channel mostly aired women-centric reality shows to compete with mainstream Hindi GECs like Star Plus, ZEE TV, Colors whose core TG is also women-oriented.
The channel had a low audience share of 11,000 during the first weeks of its launch, as compared to other channels like Life OK, Star Plus, Zee TV and Colors TV. Due to this, the channel ceased its business operations on 13 February 2015, broadcasting re-runs of Sony TV and Sony SAB shows.
The channel was then rebranded and turned into free-to-air TV channel, as it started syndication of former SET and Sony SAB series like Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, CID and Baalveer. It was available on DD Freedish, Sony Pal started gathering a fair audience share by 2016.
- "Sony Pal to celebrate Indian woman's triumphant spirit". TellyTRP.in. 1 September 2014. Archived from the original on 5 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "MSM launches new Hindi GEC". Afaqs news bureau. afaqs. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "SonyTVUSA on Instagram: "DRUMROLLS… And the 4 new channels we're launching are….! #NewLaunch #ComingSoon #SonyTvUSA"". Instagram. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Juhi Chawla becomes face of SONY PAL". Times of India. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- RM, Vijayakar (19 August 2014). "Sony Launches Women's Channel 'Sony Pal'". India West. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Roshni, Olivera (11 August 2013). "TRPs gone, TVT is the new trend". The Times Group. The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "GEC Watch: Slow Start for Sony Pal". afaqs news bureau. afaqs. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Sony Pal to bring curtains down on existing shows". indiantelevision.com Team. indiantelevision.com. 28 January 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Disha, Shah (30 May 2015). "Sony Pal: Where original shows failed; old shows did the turnaround". indiantelevision.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Sony Pal as a successful FTA". A Word to the World. 11 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.