Someone to Watch Over Me (song)
"Someone to Watch Over Me" is a 1926 song composed by George Gershwin with lyrics by Ira Gershwin. It was written for singer Gertrude Lawrence in the musical Oh, Kay! (1926). Originally, "Someone to Watch Over Me" was an up-tempo swing, but upon experimenting one day George Gershwin played the song as a ballad, and it stuck ever since.
|"Someone to Watch Over Me"|
|Published||1926 by Harms, Inc.|
The song was recorded by Frank Sinatra in 1946, for his first album The Voice Of Frank Sinatra, and again by him in 1954 for the film Young At Heart. It was later covered by several hundred artists, among others: Ella Fitzgerald (1951); Chet Baker (1955); Dakota Staton (1960); Barbra Streisand (1965); Ray Charles (1969); Willie Nelson (1978); Linda Rondstadt (1983); and Rickie Lee Jones (2000).
An episode of Star Trek: Voyager, Someone to Watch Over Me (Star Trek: Voyager), aired on April 28, 1999, and featured the song throughout the episode.
An episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Season 4 episode 17 was titled Somepony to Watch Over Me, aired on March 8, 2014.
- ""Someone To Watch Over Me": Song History, Commentary, Discography, Performances on Video". greatamericansongbook.net. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Someone to Watch Over Me)". www.jazzstandards.com. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Cover versions of Someone To Watch Over Me". secondhandsongs.com. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- Furia, Philip (1996). Ira Gershwin: The Art of the Lyricist (First ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-508299-0.
- Rosenberg, Deena Ruth (1991). Fascinating Rhythm: The Collaboration of George and Ira Gershwin. University of Michigan Press. ISBN 978-0-472-08469-2.