Slater Family Ice Arena
The Slater Family Ice Arena is a 5,000-seat hockey arena in Bowling Green, Ohio. It is home to the BGSU Falcons ice hockey team of the WCHA. It was built from 1965 to 1967 for a cost of $1.8 million and opened in February 1967. The arena originally had seating for 2,863 until 1989 when it was expanded to its current size of 5,000. Formerly known as the BGSU Ice Arena, it was renamed in 2016.
|Former names||BGSU Ice Arena|
|Location||Bowling Green State University|
Bowling Green, Ohio, United States
|Owner||Bowling Green State University|
|Operator||Bowling Green State University|
|Capacity||5,000 (ice hockey)|
|Surface||200' x 85' (ice hockey)|
|Broke ground||Spring, 1965|
|Opened||February 25, 1967|
|Construction cost||$1.8 million|
|Architect||Buegher & Stowe, Toledo, Ohio|
|BGSU Men’s Ice Hockey (1967-present)|
- Bowling Green State University's NCAA Division I men's team competes in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). The team began in 1969 and played in the MCHA for the first two seasons before joining the CCHA as a charter member for the 1971-72 season.
- BGSU men's club team (ACHA Division II/GLIHA)
- BGSU women's club team (independent)
- Bowling Green High School varsity and junior varsity teams
- BGSU intramural broomball, curling, and hockey
- Bowling Green Youth Hockey Association
The BGSU Ice Arena was home to the Bowling Green Curling Club for 48 years (1968-2016). In the spring of 2016, the Club began a move to a dedicated curling facility. On October 21st, 2017 the move was completed.
- KEVIN GORDON/Sentinel Assistant Sports Editor. "BGSU Ice Arena renovations on hold". Foxtoledo.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-01-23.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "BGSU Ice Arena". Bowling Green Athletics. BGSU. Archived from the original on 5 August 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- Kuebeck, Peter (December 9, 2016). "BGSU trustees give OK to Slater Family Ice Arena name". Bowling Green, Ohio: Sentinel-Tribune. Retrieved April 21, 2017.
- Romaker, Janet (15 February 2009). "City of Bowling Green gears up to observe A Golden Moment". The Blade. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Black Swamp Curling Center celebrates grand opening". www.13abc.com. Retrieved 7 October 2019.