Skive is a town in Skive municipality (Danish, Skive Kommune) in Region Midtjylland at the base of Salling Peninsula, a part of the larger Jutland peninsula in northwest Denmark. It is the municipality's main town and the site of its municipal council.
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 56°34′N 9°1′E|
|• Total||20,599 (2,019)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
The town of Skive is located at the mouth of the Karup River (Karup Å) and the Skive Fjord, part of the Limfjord. Skive has a population of 20,599 (1 January 2019).
- 14th century Spøttrup Castle underwent extensive repairs in the 1940s, and opened as a museum and medicinal herb garden.
- Skive Art Museum (Skive Kunstmuseum) is housed in a building designed by Danish architect Leopold Teschl, who also designed the Skive Historical Museum. The Art Museum houses a broad collection of modern Danish art, and has a special interest in expressive landscapes and New Realism painting. The collection also has works by local artists, including Christen Dalsgaard, a national romantic painter associated with the Golden Age of Danish Painting.
- The Museum also has a stuffed polar bear, which was donated to Skive by the friendship city of Scoresbysund in Greenland. As of 2017, the Museum is closed due to renovation and a new building being added.
- The Fur Museum is on the island of Fur, part of the Skive municipality. It features exhibits relating to the island, particularly fossils.
- The Four Boxes Gallery is located in the grounds of the Krabbesholm Højskole, with an unusual modern design by Japanese architects Atelier Bow-Wow.
- The Mønsted Limestone Caves south-west of Skive are run by Denmark's nature-preservation group, Skov- og Naturstyrelse. As well as being a tourist attraction, the caves are used as a place to age cheese, which is then exported to Germany as "cavecheese". In winter, the caves are home to 10,000 bats.
- In Skive, all the roundabouts have been decorated with pieces of art known as the 11 Stars, designed by the Danish designer Timothy Jacob Jensen.
- Common amenities, such as supermarkets, shops, a bowling alley and hotels, are all to be found in the town centre.
Skive is served by Skive railway station. It is located on the Langå-Struer railway line and offers direct InterCity services to Copenhagen and Struer and regional train services to Aarhus and Struer.
Skive Airport is a regional private jet airport suitable for a variety of private jets.
Skive is twinned with:
- Christen Dalsgaard (1824–1907) painter, a late student of Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg
- Jeppe Aakjær (1866 in Fly – 1930) poet and novelist, a member of the Jutland Movement
- Jens August Schade (1903-1978) poet. His 1928 work "Læren om staten" is part of the Danish Culture Canon
- Henning Dahl Mikkelsen (1915-1982) cartoonist, created the newspaper comic strip Ferd'nand, signed as Mik.
- Ulf Pilgaard (born 1940) actor, son of a priest, he studied theology but became an actor
- Johannes Lebech (born 1948) politician, former Minister for Ecclesiastical Affairs and former MEP
- Preben Kristensen (born 1953) actor, one of the musical comedy trio Linie 3 in 1979
- Jens Peter Christensen (born 1956) Supreme Court judge.
- Per Fly (born 1960) a Danish film director
- Professor Jesper deClaville Christiansen (born 1963) professor in Materials Science and Technology.
- Martin Møller Nielsen (born August 1964) is a UK-based Danish billionaire, the chairman of Nordic Aviation Capital (NAC).
- Christian Pedersen (1874–1957) sports shooter, competed in two events at the 1908 Summer Olympics
- Svend Engedal, (born 1928) goalkeeper for the U.S. football team at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics
- Gerda Weltz (born 1951) former female darts player.
- Per Sandahl Jørgensen (born 1953) former cyclist, competed in the 1980 Summer Olympics
- Knud Storgaard (born 1972) professional golfer.
- Kasper Søndergaard (born 1981) handball player for Skjern Håndbold and the Denmark national handball team.
- Rasmus Würtz (born 1983) footballer who plays in midfield for AaB in the Danish Superliga.
- Henrik Toft Hansen (born 1986) pro handballer for SG Flensburg-Handewitt and the Denmark national handball team.
- Peter Balling (born 1990) handball player for Team Tvis Holstebro and the Denmark national handball team.
- Line Haugsted (born 1994) handball player for Viborg HK and the Denmark women's national handball team
Photographs of Skive
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skive.|