Skippers Aviation is a small regional airline based at Perth Airport It is a charter company specialising in fly-in fly-out crew changes, executive charters and general flying for the mining industry in Western Australia, as well as some scheduled RPT flights. Its main base is Perth Airport.
|Company slogan||"WA's Truly Regional Airline"|
|Headquarters||Perth Airport, Western Australia|
As of February 2019 Skippers Aviation operates scheduled services to the following regional destinations:
- Mt Magnet
- Halls Creek
- Fitzroy Crossing
The airline also services the mining industry in Western Australia, being the largest provider of fly-in fly-out services in the state. It operates over 100 regular flights per week in support of many major mining companies.
Some of the mines it currently (2018) services:
- Sunrise Dam
- Duketon Gold
- Golden Grove
- Mt Magnet
- Christmas Creek
- On 26 June 2007 an Embraer Brasilia (VH-XUE) on a charter flight was executing a go-around at Jundee Airstrip in Western Australia. During the go-around the crew experienced difficulties in controlling the aircraft, with the aircraft descending to 50 feet above the ground and the bank angle reaching 40 degrees. After regaining control, the crew realised that the left engine had stopped. The cause of the engine stoppage was fuel starvation.
- On 19 March 2014 a De Havilland DHC-8 (VH-XFX) approaching Perth had a "near-miss" with an object that was moving towards the aircraft. The crew identified visually the object, which was not detected by the TCAS, and took evasive action to avoid collision. Though presumed to be a UAV, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) investigation was unable to confirm the nature of the object. The ATSB raised concerns about risks posed by unregulated operation of UAVs.
- Skippers website - Charters Archived 13 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine accessed: 15 November 2009
- using "Skippers" as the search parameter. Search conducted 12 June 2016.
- "Global Airline Guide 2019 (Part One)". Airliner World: 4. October 2019.
- Australian Transport Safety Bureau interim report on VH-XUE incident. Retrieved 27 August 2008.
- ATSB Final Report Near collision between an unknown object and De Havilland DHC-8, VH-XFX, Perth Airport, Western Australia on 19 March 2014 (retrieved 2014-05-30)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skippers Aviation.|