Sisu-class motor torpedo boat
The Sisu class motor torpedo boats (English: Guts) was a series of two Italian M.A.S. type motor torpedo boats of the Finnish Navy. The vessels were constructed in 1916 by the Orlando shipyard in Livorno, Italy. Sisu and Hurja were purchased by the Finns in 1920, and saw service in World War II. When dashing forward at full speed, the vessels sprayed water high in the air, earning the nickname "the fountains" from Finnish sailors.
|Builders:||Fratelli Orlando, Livorno, Italy|
|Succeeded by:||Isku class motor torpedo boat|
|Type:||Motor torpedo boat|
|Length:||16.2 m (53 ft)|
|Beam:||3 m (9.8 ft)|
|Draught:||1.2 m (3 ft 11 in)|
|Propulsion:||2 × Isotta Frachini; 373 kW|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Range:||150 nmi (280 km; 170 mi)|
|Notes:||Ships in class include: Sisu, Hurja|
On 1 October 1941 Sisu, together with Nuoli, was patrolling east of Gogland when it came across a large, stationary Soviet minesweeper of the Fugas class. Sisu missed with her first torpedo, having mistaken the foam painted on the minesweeper's bow for an indication that it was actually moving. A second torpedo hit the minesweeper amidship and sank her.
Vessels of the class
- Ex-MTV 1 in Finnish service, and ex-MAS 220 in Italian service. She was used as a torpedo boat until 1942, and then transferred to Lake Ladoga, where she served as a patrol vessel. Sisu was broken up after the war.
- Ex-MTV 2 in Finnish service, and ex-MAS 221 in Italian service. She was used as a torpedo boat until 1941. Hurja was broken up after the war.
- Auvinen, Visa (1983). Leijonalippu merellä [Lion flag at sea] (in Finnish). Pori, Finland: Satakunnan Kirjapaino Oy. pp. 34–35. ISBN 951-95781-1-0.
- Kijanen, Kalervo (1968). Suomen Laivasto 1918–1968, II [Finnish Navy 1918–1968, part II] (in Finnish). Helsinki, Finland: Meriupseeriyhdistys/Otavan Kirjapaino. pp. 55–56.