Sirens (2014 TV series)
Sirens is an American comedy television series loosely based on the British series of the same name. The American version was adapted by actor Denis Leary and screenwriter Bob Fisher. The series aired for two seasons on the USA cable television network from March 6, 2014, through April 14, 2015. On April 22, 2015, USA cancelled Sirens after two seasons.
|Based on||Sirens (Channel 4)|
by Brian Fillis and
|Opening theme||"Again I Ride" by Tree Adams|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||23 (list of episodes)|
|Cinematography||William R. Nielsen, Jr.|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original network||USA Network|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||March 6, 2014 –|
April 14, 2015
|Related shows||Sirens (UK)|
The series follows the workday of three Emergency Medical Technicians with a fictional Chicago private ambulance company, named Eminent, and the unusual situations—often crude or humorous—people in need of their assistance are in.
- Michael Mosley as Johnny"Moose" Farrell: a Chicago paramedic
- Kevin Daniels as Henry Isaiah "Hank" St. Clare: Johnny's openly gay paramedic partner and lifelong friend
- Kevin Bigley as Brian Czyk: a new paramedic recruit
- Jessica McNamee as Theresa Kelly: a Chicago police patrol officer and Johnny's on-again/off-again girlfriend
- Bill Nunn as "Cash" (season 2, recurring previously), a Vietnam veteran EMT who enjoys Twix and had his name legally changed to Cassius Clay
- Josh Segarra as Billy Cepeda (season 2, recurring previously): Theresa's police officer partner
- Kelly O'Sullivan as Valentina "Voodoo" Dunacci: an asexual EMT
- Maura Kidwell as Claire "Stats" Bender: an obsessive-compulsive EMT
- Kirsten Fitzgerald as Kathy "Mac" McMenimen: the crew's dispatcher
In June 2011, it was announced that Denis Leary and Bob Fisher were developing an adaptation of the 2011 British comedy-drama Sirens, created by Brian Fillis and inspired by Tom Reynolds's book, Blood, Sweat & Tea about the London Ambulance Service. Leary stated that he would not star in the series, but would take a small role, if necessary, in the future. In 2012, the USA Network sought to rush the developing Sirens to pilot status. However, a deal with Fox Television Studios was carefully being studied over VOD rights. The network was able to order a series pilot in June 2012.
The four lead roles were filled in October 2012, with the casting of Michael Mosley, Kevin Daniels, Kevin Bigley and Jessica McNamee. Production for the pilot began in Chicago that month. The network announced that Sirens would premiere in the first quarter of 2014 and would later state that two back-to-back episodes would air together on March 6, 2014, then resume normal programming the following week.
At the January 2014 TCA conference, Leary and Fisher stated that the producers of the British series approached Leary's business partner, Jim Serpico, and asked him to adapt it for the U.S.. Leary stated, "We really liked those guys, and USA [network] was pillaging the cast of [the recently ended] Rescue Me and putting them into shows." He added, "we can make some money off these USA people."
On June 11, 2014, USA ordered a 13-episode second season of Sirens.
Season 1 (2014)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Pilot"||Victor Nelli, Jr.||Denis Leary & Bob Fisher||March 6, 2014||BDZ179||1.33|
|It is Brian's first day in the ambulance. Johnny meets Theresa for the first time since their relationship break. Hank and the crew discuss their emergency contacts.|
|2||"A Bitch Named Karma"||Michael Blieden||Denis Leary & Bob Fisher||March 6, 2014||BDZ101||1.00|
|The crew gets called to a lightning strike at a church picnic. After discussing karma, they volunteer to teach CPR to kids, only to later be given Chicago Bears tickets for the exact same day.|
|3||"Rachel McAdams Topless"||John Fortenberry||Jim Serpico & Tom Sellitti||March 13, 2014||BDZ104||1.08|
|The guys are asked by a married patient to clear his browser history on his computer. They find he visited a bestiality website and cannot get what they see out of their minds. Meanwhile, Johnny remembers that Theresa has his iPad, which contains porn sites he visited.|
|4||"Famous Last Words"||Michael Blieden||Denis Leary & Bob Fisher||March 20, 2014||BDZ102||1.11|
|A patient resembling Johnny's estranged father dies and Hank forces his friend to reconcile, which could make things right in life. Meanwhile, Brian wants to find out who the woman is that the dead guy mentioned in his last words, after realizing it is not the man's wife.|
|5||"Alcohol Related Injury"||John Fortenberry||Denis Leary & Bob Fisher||March 27, 2014||BDZ103||1.22|
|Johnny and Theresa agree to no-strings casual sex, even though he feels used and wants something more. Brian gets to perform an item from his bucket list.|
|6||"The Finger"||Jason Ensler||Spencer Sloan||April 3, 2014||BDZ105||1.14|
|Brian attempts to woo the asexual Voodoo. Hank invites Cash to dinner with his mother (Loretta Devine) with surprising results. Johnny and Theresa spend the day with Johnny's dad and his newly-introduced little brother.|
|7||"Till Jeff Do Us Part"||Jason Ensler||Erik Durbin||April 10, 2014||BDZ106||0.87|
|Hank gets invited to Jeff the Chef's wedding with Alejandro. Theresa has trouble with a wedding guest. Brian learns a new skill.|
|8||"Itsy Bitsy Spider"||Steven Tsuchida||Ken Rogerson||April 17, 2014||BDZ108||1.27|
|Hank's fear of spiders is revealed. Brian meets his suicidal doppelgänger. Johnny's practical jokes on everyone get turned around on him.|
|9||"There's No 'I' in Cream"||Steven Tsuchida||Josh Lieb||April 24, 2014||BDZ107||1.09|
|The EMTs recall strange events for potential new recruits. Meanwhile, Johnny tries to figure out who ate most of the expensive donuts he brought to the station.|
|10||"Shotgun Wedding"||Richie Keen||Erik Durbin||May 1, 2014||BDZ109||1.15|
|When Theresa gets wounded in a shoot-out, she makes a long-term career decision to apply for the FBI. Not having much of a plan of his own, Johnny proposes marriage to her. She foresees an extremely long engagement, so he suggests doing it that day.|
Season 2 (2015)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|11||"Superdick"||Jay Karas||Erik Durbin||January 27, 2015||BDZ204||0.930|
|In the Season 2 premiere, Johnny finds a perfect apartment to share with Theresa thanks to a landlord with a nut allergy. In other events, Brian struggles with his platonic love affair with Voodoo; Billy begins dating Theresa's sister; and Hank wonders if he'll ever find love.|
|12||"Johnny Nightingale"||Michael Blieden||Erik Durbin||January 27, 2015||BDZ202||0.800|
|Johnny deals with an overly grateful patient; and Brian agrees to take an injured young woman to her prom.|
|13||"Briandipity"||Michael Blieden||Spencer Sloan||February 3, 2015||BDZ201||0.750|
|The guys contemplate fate and serendipity after several random, but fortuitous, incidents; and Johnny becomes upset with Theresa when he learns that she doubts destiny brought them together.|
|14||"Transcendual"||Richie Keen||Annabel Oakes||February 3, 2015||BDZ209||0.750|
|Johnny and Hank are given free passes to a health club after treating a gym rat; and Voodoo tests Brian's ability to remain in a sexless relationship.|
|15||"All the Single Ladies"||Richie Keen||Annabel Oakes||February 10, 2015||BDZ205||0.840|
|Johnny and Hank ride along on Brian's first night shift.|
|16||"Screw the One Percent"||Richie Keen||Mark Blecha||February 24, 2015||BDZ206||0.780|
|Johnny has issues when Hank starts dating Johnny's landlord; and Billy helps a heartbroken Brian after Voodoo dumps him for a guy she met on an asexual message board.|
|17||"Let Pythons Be Pythons"||John Embom||Sarah Walker||March 3, 2015||BDZ207||0.760|
|The guys encounter a python wrapped around a woman's neck and Theresa makes time for a sample sale.|
|18||"Hypocritical Oath"||Jay Karas||Sarah Walker||March 10, 2015||BDZ203||0.580|
|The guys save the life of a notorious member of the mafia.|
|19||"Charbroiled"||John Enbom||Ken Rogerson||March 17, 2015||BDZ208||0.776|
|The hangover from a drunken brawl between Cubs and Sox fans threatens a family barbecue.|
|20||"Balls"||Bob Fisher||Spencer Sloan||March 24, 2015||BDZ213||0.742|
|Johnny, Theresa, Billy and Maeve begin playing tennis together; Cash helps Hank shop for his mother's birthday present; and Brian fills in for Cash and rides with Voodoo and Stats.|
|21||"Six Feet Over/Under"||Richie Keen||Denis Leary & Bob Fisher||March 31, 2015||BDZ210||0.593|
|Johnny and his mom deal with his dad's slipping into a coma in very different ways: He tries to repay an old debt while she places bets on what time her former husband will die. In other events, the guys can't rid themselves of an unfortunate earworm.|
|22||"No Love"||Steve Pink||Erik Durbin||April 7, 2015||BDZ212||0.756|
|After observing the respect that Theresa receives on the job, Johnny gets the guys to revive an old program in order to get a little respect for EMTs.|
|23||"Sub-Primal Fears"||Steve Pink||Annabel Oakes||April 14, 2015||BDZ211||0.719|
|In the Season 2 finale, the guys treat a man who fears hospitals. In other events, Brian confronts his fear of moving out; and Johnny has a fear realized when Billy temporarily moves in with him and Theresa.|
Sirens scored 61 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 19 "generally favorable" reviews. On another review aggregator site, Rotten Tomatoes, it holds a 73% rating with an average rating of 6.3 out of 10, based on 22 reviews.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 20, 2011). "USA Network To Develop Paramedic Comedy Co-Written And Produced by Denis Leary". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Jeffery, Morgan (July 4, 2012). "Denis Leary confirms 'Sirens' remake plans: 'We're casting the pilot'". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Nellie Andreeva. "'Sirens' Cancelled By USA After 2 Seasons - Deadline". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 2, 2012). "USA Finalizes Pilot Orders For Comedies 'Paging Dr. Freed' & 'Sirens'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 11, 2012). "Denis Leary's USA Comedy Pilot 'Sirens' Casts Its Leads". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 16, 2013). "USA Picks Up Comedy Series 'Sirens' And 'Playing House', Orders Half-Hour Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 9, 2013). "USA Sets Return Dates For 'Suits', 'Psych' & White Collar', Premiere For 'Sirens'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- De Moraes, Lisa (January 18, 2014). "TCA: USA Draws The Line At Equine Sex Acts, Says 'Sirens' Denis Leary (Video)". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- Miller, Thomas. "USA Network Renews Sirens". Seat42f. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 7, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Wins Night, 'Vikings', 'Suits', 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo', 'Sirens' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 14, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Vikings' Tops Night + 'Pawn Stars', 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo', 'Ridiculousness' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Yanan, Travis (March 21, 2014). "Thursday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy" Lead Demo Pack". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 28, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: NCAA Basketball Coverage Leads Night + 'Pawn Stars', 'Vikings', 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 4, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Vikings' & 'Pawn Stars' Win Night, 'Suits', 'Ridiculousness, 'Sirens' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Yanan, Travis (April 11, 2014). "Thursday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Big Bang Theory," "Scandal" Top Charts". The Futon Critic. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 18, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Vikings' & '30 for 30: Bad Boys' Win Night, 'Pawn Stars', 'Sirens' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 25, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: NBA Basketball Leads Night + 'Vikings', 'Inside the NBA Playoffs', 'The Challenge' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 26, 2014. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 2, 2014). "Thursday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night, 'Vikings', 'Pawn Stars', 'The Challenge', 'Sirens' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 28, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Tops Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Sons of Liberty' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (February 4, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Being Mary Jane' Wins Night, 'Moonshiners', 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Justified' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 11, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Tops Night + 'Being Mary Jane', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 25, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Being Mary Jane' Tops Night + 'The Haves and the Have Nots', '19 Kids and Counting', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. March 3, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. March 10, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. March 17, 2015. Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. March 24, 2015. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. March 31, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. April 7, 2015. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Top 25 ORIGINAL Cable Telecasts". ShowBuzz Daily. April 14, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Sirens (2014) Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Sirens: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 17, 2014.