Sir William Douglas, 4th Baronet

Sir William Douglas, 4th Baronet of Kelhead (c. 1730 – 16 May 1783) was a British Member of Parliament.

The son of Sir John Douglas, 3rd Baronet of Kelhead and his wife, Christian Cunningham, daughter of Sir William Cunningham of Caprington, 2nd Baronet, he was a descendant of Lady Catherine Douglas, sister of William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry. He was educated at Glasgow University.

He served as Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs between 1768 and 1780. He succeeded his uncle Charles Douglas to his Breconwhat estate, Dumfries in 1770. Sir William commissioned the building of Lockerbie House.

He married Grace Johnstone in 1772 and had five sons and four daughters. The eldest, Charles, succeeded as 6th Marquess of Queensberry.[1]

Their third son, Lord John Douglas, granted the style and precedence of the younger son of a Marquess by Royal Warrant 4 May 1837, later became 7th Marquess of Queensberry. The youngest son, Lord William Robert Keith Douglas was Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs.[2]

References

  1. Members of Parliament, Scotland, including the minor barons; Joseph Foster.
  2. The House of Commons 1790-1820; Roland G. Thorne
Parliament of the United Kingdom
Preceded by
James Montgomery
Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs
17681780
Succeeded by
Sir Robert Herries
Baronetage of Nova Scotia
Preceded by
John Douglas
Baronet
(of Kelhead)
1778–1783
Succeeded by
Charles Douglas


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.