Sir John Walrond, 1st Baronet
Sir John Walrond Walrond, 1st Baronet (1 March 1818 – 23 April 1889), of Bradfield House, Uffculme in Devon, known as John Walrond Dickinson until 22 April 1845, was a British Conservative Party politician.
John Walrond Walrond
Portrait of Sir John Walrond by George Frederic Watts
|Member of Parliament |
13 July 1865 – 16 November 1868
|Preceded by||George Denman|
Henry John Temple
|Succeeded by||George Denman|
John Walrond Dickinson
1 March 1818
|Died||23 April 1889 71)(aged|
Frances Caroline Hood (m. 1845)
|Children||Six, including William Walrond|
|Parents||Benjamin Bowes Walrond|
|Residence||Bradfield House, Uffculme, Devon|
Walrond was elected MP for Tiverton in 1865, but stood down at the next election in 1868. He stood for the seat a number of times over the next 12 years – in 1872, 1874 and 1880 – but without success. He was selected High Sheriff of Devon for 1874-75.
Walrond was created 1st Baronet of Bradfield, Devon on 24 February 1876. On his death, his son William Walrond inherited the title, which was then merged with the Waleran barony on its creation for him.
Marriage and progeny
On 20 May 1845 Walrond married Frances Caroline Hood, a daughter of Samuel Hood, 2nd Baron Bridport by his wife Charlotte Nelson, 3rd Duchess of Bronté, by whom he had five children: two sons and three daughters:
- William Hood Walrond, 1st Baron Waleran (1849-1925), eldest son and heir;
- Arthur Melville Walrond (1861-1946);
- Katherine Mary Walrond (1846-1934), wife of Charles Arthur Williams Troyte (1842–1896), they built Huntsham Court;
- Margaret Walrond (1850-1930), wife of Charles Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis, 20th Baron Clinton;
- Gertrude Walrond (1853-1920), wife of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, 12th Baronet, died without progeny.
- Burke's Landed Gentry, 1937, p.2353
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)
- "Sir John Walrond Walrond, 1st Bt". The Peerage. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- Craig, F. W. S., ed. (1977). British Parliamentary Election Results 1832-1885 (e-book)
|url=(help) (1st ed.). London: Macmillan Press. ISBN 978-1-349-02349-3.
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets – Baronetcies beginning with "W" (part 1)
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Henry John Temple
| Member of Parliament for Tiverton
With: George Denman (1866–1868)
Henry John Temple (1865–1866)
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet