Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
Opened in 1958, it was named in honour of Sir Charles Gairdner, governor of Western Australia 1951–63, and is part of the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre (QEII). It is colloquially referred to as "Charlies".
All clinical specialities are provided, with the exception of complex burns, paediatrics, obstetrics, and gynaecology. It houses the state's only comprehensive cancer treatment centre, and is the state's principal hospital for neurosurgery and liver transplants. The hospital is closely associated with the nearby University of Western Australia as well as Curtin University, Notre Dame University, and Edith Cowan University.
Handling over 76,000 admissions annually, SCGH has 600 beds, and treats approximately 420,000 patients each year. As of 2012 some 5,500 staff are employed. In 2009, it was the second hospital in Australia to be awarded Magnet recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Polizzotto, Carolyn; Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital; University of Western Australia. Centre for Western Australian History (1988), A fair sized town : Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and its history, 1958-1988, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in association with Centre for Western Australian History, University of Western Australia, ISBN 978-0-7316-4610-4
- Spillman, Ken; Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (2008), Fifty and counting : Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital's first half century, Charlies Alumni in association with the Centre for Western Australian History at the University of Western Australia, ISBN 978-1-74052-166-6
- Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (1982), A place of care : Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, The Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands, Perth, Western Australia, The Hospital, retrieved 9 January 2013
- About Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital at SCGH official website