Sioux City Journal
|Editor||Bruce R. Miller|
|Founded||August 20, 1864|
|Headquarters||515 Pavonia St., Sioux City, Iowa, US|
The Journal is owned by Lee Enterprises Inc.
The Sioux City Journal was founded as a weekly newspaper on August 20, 1864 by Samuel Tait Davis (1828–1900) and others who wanted a strong local voice for the Union Party and the re-election of Abraham Lincoln. Serving as the first editor, Davis continued until after the election, ensuring a pro-Lincoln perspective. With the end of the Union Party after the Civil War, this shifted to a pro-Republican stance.
George and Henry Perkins bought the Sioux City Weekly Journal in 1869, and within a year converted it to a daily newspaper. Continuing the Republican editorial line, George Perkins (1840–1914) served as editor in between terms as a Republican officeholder. Among other offices, he served in the Iowa Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives, and "lost a highly contested bid for Iowa's governorship in 1906."
After George Perkins died early in 1914, the paper was left to his son, William R. Perkins, and son-in-law, William Sammons. They hired noted architect William L. Steele to design a new four-story building at the southwest corner of Douglas Street and 5th Street. Housing the paper's editorial, reporting, circulation, advertising sales, and printing operations, the building was ready for occupancy in 1915.
Sammons ran the Journal until his death in 1944. One of his accomplishments was purchasing in 1941 the Journal's primary competitor, the erstwhile pro-Democratic Sioux City Tribune. Since the Journal was a morning paper and the Tribune an evening paper, for over 30 years they continued both papers with a merged staff.
By 1972, the elegant building designed by William L. Steele was no longer meeting the paper's needs, and a new plant was built east of downtown at Sixth and Pavonia Streets. The Journal moved there in November of that year, and the Steele building was demolished soon afterwards.
On December 14, 1972, the Journal-Tribune Publishing Co. was purchased by Hagadone Corp. of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and Howard Publications of Oceanside, California. Shortly after the ownership change, the Journal dropped its afternoon editions and became a seven-day morning paper. Lee Enterprises Inc. of Davenport, Iowa, bought Howard Publications in February 2002, giving it half-ownership of the paper; in June 2002, Lee purchased the remaining half from Hagadone.
- Journal article March 16, 2015
- Linck, Michele (August 4, 2009). "Journal among news publisher's '10 That Do It Right'". Sioux City Journal. Sioux City, Iowa: Lee Enterprises.
- Sorensen, Scott; Chicoine, B. Paul (1982). Sioux City: A Pictorial History. Norfolk, Virginia: The Donning Company/Publishers. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-89865-276-5.
- "About The Sioux City journal (Sioux City, Iowa) 1864-1870". US Newspaper Directory, 1690–present. Washington, DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Sorensen, Scott; Chicoine, B. Paul (1982). Sioux City: A Pictorial History. Norfolk, Virginia: The Donning Company/Publishers. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-89865-276-5.
- "About The Sioux City daily journal (Sioux City, Iowa) 1870-1887". US Newspaper Directory, 1690–present. Washington, DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "KTIV History". Sioux City, Iowa: KTIV Television. May 30, 2008.
- Sorensen, Scott; Chicoine, B. Paul (1982). Sioux City: A Pictorial History. Norfolk, Virginia: The Donning Company/Publishers. p. 147. ISBN 978-0-89865-276-5.
- "Douglas Street Walking Tour 7: Sioux City Journal Building". Downtown Walking Tours. Sioux City, Iowa: Sioux City Public Museum. Archived from the original on 2006-05-05. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Yoder, Dave (June 6, 2002). "Sioux City Journal sold to Lee Enterprises". Sioux City Journal. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Dietrich 'Dee' Dirks". Obituaries in the News. New York: Associated Press. August 14, 2003.