Single barrel whiskey
Single barrel whiskey (or single cask whiskey) is a premium class of whiskey in which each bottle comes from an individual aging barrel, instead of coming from blending together the contents of various barrels to provide uniformity of color and taste. Even whiskeys that are not blends may be combined from more than one batch, or even from differing years to achieve consistency. The whiskey from each barrel is bottled separately, with each bottle bearing the barrel number and in most cases the dates for the beginning and end of aging. Each barrel is believed to contribute unique characteristics to the finished whiskey.
There has been some recent controversy over whether single cask whiskeys are indeed all from single casks. Whiskeys sold by Scottish distilleries such as Ben Nevis and GlenDronach as "single casks" have been revealed to be vattings of multiple barrels, which may have been of different kinds, with the "single cask" designation referring only to the final cask for maturation. In the absence of specific regulation regarding this language, it is not clear to what extent this practice is prevalent in the industry as a whole.
The following is a list of some single barrel whiskeys:
- Buffalo Trace Distillery (a Sazerac Company distillery)
- Heaven Hill
- Jack Daniel's Distillery (a Brown-Forman Corporation distillery)
- Jim Beam (has released a single barrel bourbon)
- Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (an independent bottling company)
- Knob Creek Distillery (a Beam Inc. distillery)
- Four Roses Distillery (offers single barrel bourbon)
- "Glendronach Confusion (or What is a "Single Cask"?)". My Annoying Opinions. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Helen Arthur (2002) . The single malt companion (in Dutch). Translated by Lisbeth Machielsen. Libero. p. 66. ISBN 9057642360.
- "The Family Casks - Glenfarclas". glenfarclas.com. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Blanton's Bourbon: The Original Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey". Blanton's Bourbon. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Bourbon, Evan Williams. "Evan Williams Bourbon | Home". Evan Williams Bourbon. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- "Single Barrel Collection". Jack Daniel's. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Leonard, Devin (December 23, 2014). "Jim Beam's New Single-Barrel Bourbon Is 95 Proof, and Kid Rock Likes It". BusinessWeek.com. BusinessWeek. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Bourbon's Bistro Whiskey List Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine, Bourbon's Bistro. (Accessed January 2011)
- The newest Willett family estate Rye, StraightBourbon.com. (Access date January 2011).
- "Knob Creek – Single Barrel Reserve". Retrieved September 23, 2018.
- "Four Roses Bourbon Four Roses Single Barrel". fourrosesbourbon.com. Retrieved 2018-09-23.