Single adult (LDS Church)
Single adult is a term used in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) to describe any unmarried person age 18 or older. A more specific term of 'young single adult' describes singles ages 18–30.
Single adult generally refers to unmarried adults age 31 and older in the LDS Church. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have taught that "marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children". While this family unit is perceived as the ideal, many church members are single.
Young single adult
Young single adult (abbreviated YSA) is a category used in the LDS Church to describe an unmarried adult between the ages of 18 and 30. The purpose of the YSA program of the church is to "provide enhanced opportunities for them to serve in leadership positions, to teach, and to lead."
There are activities arranged within the church that allow YSA to mingle, get to know one another, and spend time with people of their own age group, standards, and beliefs. The activities range from fun-based activities such as dances or weekend conferences, to religious instruction such as Institute of Religion classes or firesides.
Young single adult wards
A ward in the LDS Church is usually geographically constructed, but exceptions are made such as for wards for a specific language or for young single adults. Formerly, the LDS Church maintained student wards and singles wards, but now young single adults, depending on their location, may have the option to attend a young single adult ward composed of other unmarried singles ages 18–30.
- Christy, Choi (2011-05-30), "All the Single Mormons: Virginia Church Focuses on Finding a Mate", Time Magazine, retrieved 2012-02-24
- "The Family: A Proclamation to the World", Ensign: 102, November 1995, retrieved 2012-02-24. See also: The Family: A Proclamation to the World
- Snow, Steven. "Young Single Adults, Leaders See Benefits of Reorganization". The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Taylor, Scott (2011-06-02), "LDS Church drops 'student' wards, stakes for 'YSA' units", Deseret News, retrieved 2012-02-24
- Alexander, Caresa (2011-12-10), "Some of the noblest members — Single Latter-day Saints can help to build the Kingdom", Church News
- Holman, Marianne (2011-04-30), "Look to the future and go out and rescue others", Church News
- Holman, Marianne (2011-04-23), "New YSA stakes reduce confusion, provide opportunities", Church News
- "16. Single Members", Handbook 2: Administering the Church, LDS Church, 2010
- Johnson, Stephanie Jean (2011-07-27), "Young Adult Centers Build the Rising Generation", Church News and Events, churchofjesuschrist.org, LDS Church
- Volmar, Philip M. (2011-10-21), "YSA Conferences Bring Together Young Single Adults", Church News and Events, churchofjesuschrist.org, LDS Church
- Wrigley, Heather (2011-04-20), "Single Adults, Leaders See Benefits of YSA Ward Reorganization", Church News and Events, churchofjesuschrist.org, LDS Church
- "Serving Young Single Adults", Serving in the Church, churchofjesuschrist.org, LDS Church