Siluro San Bartolomeo

The Siluro San Bartolomeo (St. Bartholomew Torpedo) was an Italian Human Torpedo designed during World War II, used by the Decima Flottiglia MAS for commando style operations. When using the Siluro a Lenta Corsa Maiale Human Torpedo had noticed some limitations, demonstrating the need for an updated version. The project was managed and developed by the engineer of the Genio Naval, Mayor Mario Masciulli, with the help of Captain G.N Travaglino and engineer Guido Cattaneo. The improvement in the materials available for the assembly and parallel new technologies led to a far superior product to the point of not being able to identify and as an outgrowth of the "Siluro a Lenta Corsa" SLC Maiale.

Siluro San Bartolomeo
History
Class and type: Human torpedo
Name: Siluro San Bartolomeo
Commissioned: 1943
General characteristics
Length: 6,77m
Propulsion: 7.5 HP Motor
Speed: 2.3–4 Knots
Armament:

Normal: explosives charge 300 kg Version 2: 400 kg

Version 3: Double 180/200 kg charge

Just three Siluro San Bartolomeo had been manufactured before the date of the Armistice between Italy and Allied armed forces; two remained in La Spezia and one which was sent to Venice was found at the end of the war. Both of La Spezia were consigned to the La Castagna Task Force, an old battery of the Decima Flottiglia MAS under the command of Lieutenant Augusto Jacobacci (Siluro San Bartolomeo pilot). Those had been designated to attack Gibraltar, but the action was suspended with the armistice.

Further reading

  • Crociani, Piero; Stacey, Mark; Battistelli, Pier Paolo. Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940–45. Oxford, United Kingdom: Osprey. p. 12. ISBN 9781780963723.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.