Sigma Sports is a Canadian youth soccer development academy and player management company based in Mississauga, Ontario. They also operate a senior academy soccer team that currently competes in League1 Ontario, as Sigma FC. Over 140 Sigma players have gone on to play NCAA or U Sports soccer on scholarships.
|Full name||Sigma Sports|
|Stadium||Paramount Fine Foods Centre|
|Owner||Sigma Sports Solutions|
|Managing director||Constantine Smyrniotis|
Playoffs: Group stage
Sigma was formed in 2005 by Constantine and Bobby Smyrniotis as a private academy aimed to develop young Canadian soccer players. Over the years Sigma have sent players from their academy to the NCAA and to trials overseas and have prided themselves as the premier private academy in Southern Ontario.
Sigma made news in January 2015 when academy player Cyle Larin was drafted first overall by Major League Soccer club Orlando City at the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. This was the first time a Canadian went first overall in an MLS draft.
On October 1, 2018, Sigma co-founder Bobby Smyrniotis was named head coach and technical director of Canadian Premier League club Forge FC. Bobby had served as technical director and first team head coach of Sigma from 2005 to 2018.
Seasons in League1 Ontario
|Season||Record||Rank||Playoffs||League Cup||Canadian Championship||Ref|
|2016||14–2–6||2nd, Western||Did not qualify||First round||–|
|2017||17–4–1||2nd, Western||Did not qualify||First round||–|
|2018||11–4–1||2nd||Group stage||Semifinals||Did not qualify|
|2019||8–3–4||5th||Quarterfinals||Not held||Did not qualify|
- Armstrong, Laura (October 23, 2016). "Local soccer academy has become playground for future stars". Toronto Star. Retrieved April 21, 2019.
- "Forge FC names first-ever head coach". Global News. October 1, 2018. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- "Sigma Sports: About us". Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- Clarke, Ian (April 9, 2014). "Sigma FC: Laying the groundwork for Canadian youth development". www.rednationonline.ca. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- Rowaan, Dave (April 8, 2014). "League1 Ontario announces teams for inaugural season".
- "MLS SuperDraft: Canadian international Cyle Larin selected first overall by Orlando City SC". January 15, 2015.
- "2016 Sigma FC Home". League1 Ontario. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "2017 Sigma FC Home". League1 Ontario. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "2018 Sigma FC Home". League1 Ontario. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "2019 Sigma FC Home". League1 Ontario. Retrieved October 20, 2019.