Sierra (formerly Sierra Trading Post) is an online and brick-and-mortar retailer of off-price merchandise operated by the TJX Companies. The Cheyenne, Wyoming-based company offers products in categories such as outdoor recreation, fitness and adventure gear, and apparel, along with footwear, clothing, and home decor. Sierra sells merchandise through 46 retail stores (as of November 2019)and a company website. It carries products from approximately 3,000 name-brand manufacturers.
A Sierra store in Oregon in 2019
|Sierra Trading Post|
Cheyenne, Wyoming, U.S.
Number of locations
Number of employees
Sierra Trading Post was founded in Sparks, Nevada, in 1986. Until 1992, the company was headquartered in Reno, Nevada. It was acquired for an estimated $200 million by Framingham, Massachusetts-based TJX Companies in 2012.
The original company had 500 square feet (46 m2) of office space. The existing stores average 18,000 sq ft (1,700 m2) of operating space. The business claims to hold to three guiding principles: to give optimal customer service, to maintain low operating costs to increase customer savings, and to "treat others as we would want to be treated".
On January 12, 2009, during the financial crisis, the company laid off approximately 130 employees at the retail and outlet store (and fulfillment center) in Cheyenne.
TJX acquired the domain sierra.com in August 2018 from Activision which owned the assets of Sierra Entertainment. TJX subsequently shortened the name "Sierra Trading Post" to Sierra.
The first catalog had 16 pages of hand-drawn merchandise printed in duotone. As of December 2017, the catalog is no longer in production.
- The "core" catalog, titled Sierra, featured the broadest range of products.
- The Sierra catalog carried products for women balancing work, family and home. It included active and casual office wear, children's clothing, home decor and footwear.
The company operates brick-and-mortar stores in the United States. As a part of the TJX group of companies, a store is often near or within a HomeGoods, T.J. Maxx or Marshalls store in the same shopping center.
- "Sierra Locations". www.sierra.com.
- "Internet Retailer Top 500 Retail Web Sites". InternetRetailer.com. Archived from the original on May 9, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Sierra Trading Post and HomeGoods to Open at Royal Ridge Center in Nashua, NH". Boston Real Estate Times. November 14, 2017. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "Sierra Trading Post sells for $200M to T.J. Maxx parent". Wyoming Business Report. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "About Us: Sierra". Sierra.com. Retrieved February 17, 2008.
- "Sierra Trading Post Layoffs". KGWN-TV. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- "TJX Acquires Sierra.com from Activision". Retrieved April 11, 2018.