Sidharth Malhotra (born 16 January 1985) is an Indian actor who appears in Hindi films. Malhotra began a career as a model at the age of 18. Dissatisfied by the profession, he went on to work as an assistant director to Karan Johar in the 2010 film My Name Is Khan.
Malhotra at an event for Kapoor & Sons in 2016
|Born||16 January 1985|
|Alma mater||Shaheed Bhagat Singh College|
He made his acting debut with a leading role in Johar's teen drama Student of the Year (2012), for which he received a Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut nomination. Malhotra played an aspiring businessman in the comedy-drama Hasee Toh Phasee (2014), a criminal in the romantic thriller Ek Villain (2014), and an aspiring author in the family drama Kapoor & Sons (2016).
Life and career
Early life, film debut and early films (1985–2015)
Malhotra was born in Delhi, India into a Punjabi family, to Sunil, a former captain in the Merchant Navy, and Rimma Malhotra, a homemaker. He was schooled at Delhi's Don Bosco School and Birla Vidya Niketan, and graduated from Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, University of Delhi. At the age of 18, Malhotra began modelling. Although he was successful, he decided to quit after four years because he was dissatisfied with the profession.
Interested in pursuing an acting career, he successfully auditioned for a film to be directed by Anubhav Sinha. However, the film was shelved, following which he worked as an assistant director to Karan Johar on the 2010 film My Name Is Khan. In 2012, Malhotra made his acting debut with Johar's Student of the Year alongside Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt. He was cast as Abhimanyu Singh, a scholarship student of limited financial means, who competes with his wealthy best friend Rohan (played by Dhawan) to win an annual school championship. Film critic Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN considered Malhotra's performance to be "earnest", adding that he had "a pleasing presence." Student of the Year was a financial success, grossing ₹700 million (US$10 million) domestically.
Malhotra next starred opposite Parineeti Chopra and Adah Sharma in the 2014 romantic comedy Hasee Toh Phasee, which tells the love story of a scientist and an under-confident aspiring businessman. Mohar Basu of Koimoi found his performance to be "restrained" and described his chemistry with Chopra as "lively" and "heartfelt"; Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV praised his screen presence and compared it to the early work of Amitabh Bachchan. The film performed moderately well at the box office, with global revenues of ₹620 million (US$9.0 million).
Malhotra's second release of 2014 was the Mohit Suri-directed romantic thriller Ek Villain. Malhotra was cast as Guru, a hardened criminal whose terminally-ill wife (played by Shraddha Kapoor) is murdered by a serial killer (played by Riteish Deshmukh). Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express reviewed his performance as "watchable even if he has a hard time doing menace — he just seems so nice and wholesome all the time, even when he is crunching bones." The film became a commercial success with domestic revenues of over ₹1 billion (US$14 million). The box office performance of the film established Malhotra as one of the new generation of Bollywood actors.
In 2015, Malhotra appeared in a remake of the 2011 American film Warrior, titled Brothers, directed by Karan Malhotra and co-starring Akshay Kumar, Jacqueline Fernandez and Jackie Shroff. The film received negative reviews and under-performed at the box office.
Kapoor & Sons and recent films (2016–present)
Malhotra's next release, the Shakun Batra-directed family drama Kapoor & Sons, proved to be a critical and commercial success. Featuring an ensemble cast including Rishi Kapoor, Ratna Pathak Shah, Rajat Kapoor, Fawad Khan, and Alia Bhatt, the film tells the story of two brothers of contrasting personalities (Malhotra and Khan) who return home to their dysfunctional family after their grandfather suffers from a cardiac arrest. A reviewer for India Today thought that Malhotra was overshadowed by Khan in the film, though Namrata Joshi of The Hindu wrote that "he holds his own with his solid presence and vulnerable glances".
In 2016, Malhotra starred in the romantic comedy Baar Baar Dekho, co-starring Katrina Kaif, as a mathematician who travels in time. The film was produced by Karan Johar under the banner of Dharma Productions and Farhan Akhtar and Ritesh Sidhwani under the banner of Excel Entertainment. Directed by Nitya Mehra, the film opened to mixed to negative reviews from the critics. In 2017 he starred in A Gentleman with Jacqueline Fernandez from the director duo Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K.. Produced by Fox Star Studios, the film was released on 25 August 2017 worldwide. The movies had domestic collections of INR 420 Million and INR 220 Million respectively.
The 2017 remake of the 1969 mystery film Ittefaq starred Malhotra opposite Sonakshi Sinha. It was produced by Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Khan under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment, directed by Abhay Chopra, distributed by BR Studios and also starred Akshay Khanna. Released on 3 November 2017, the film got "100% fresh" rating from Rotten Tomatoes based on 5 reviews but failed to show any remarkable performance at the Box Office with a lifetime collection of INR 500 Million.
Malhotra featured in Neeraj Pandey's Aiyaary, released on 16 February 2018, along with Manoj Bajpayee and Rakul Preet Singh. Produced by Shital Bhatia under the banner of Friday Filmworks, the film opened on a low note of ₹ 30 Million and collected ₹ 183.1 Million. Shrishti Negi of News 18 gave the film a rating of 1.5 stars out of 5 and said that, "Unlike Pandey’s other films, there is a sense of flatness in Aiyaary. Apart from a few scenes, the movie seems to be randomly constructed and fails to evoke any thrill." Bollywood Hungama gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 and said that, "On the whole, Aiyaary misses the mark and is a huge letdown on the account of its flawed script and the lengthy run time. At the box office, it will be a disappointing fare."
Malhotra starred in the romantic-comedy Jabariya Jodi, his second collaboration with Parineeti Chopra. The film was released on 9 August 2019. Marjaavaan, co-starring Tara Sutaria, Rakul Preet Singh and Riteish Deshmukh is scheduled for release on 2 October 2019.
Other work and charity
In 2013, Malhotra performed at an event alongside Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor and Huma Qureshi to raise funds for the flood-affected victims of Uttarakhand. He collaborated with PETA for a campaign to create awareness about dogs. In August 2016, he performed in various cities of the USA as a part of the "Dream Team 2016" tour, also featuring fellow actors Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, Katrina Kaif, Parineeti Chopra, and Aditya Roy Kapur, as well as filmmaker Karan Johar and rapper Badshah.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||My Name Is Khan||—||Assistant director|
|2012||Student of the Year||Abhimanyu Singh|
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||Nikhil Bharadwaj|
|2016||Kapoor & Sons||Arjun Kapoor|
|Baar Baar Dekho||Jai Varma|
|2017||A Gentleman||Gaurav/Rishi||Also playback singer for song "Bandook Meri Laila"|
|2018||Aiyaary||Major Jai Bakshi|
|2019||Jabariya Jodi||Abhay Singh|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Student of the Year||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut—Male||Nominated|
|ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Male)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer—Male||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Most Promising Debut Male||Won|
|Superstar of Tomorrow—Male||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut—Male||Nominated|
|South Africa India Film and Television Awards||Debut Actor of the Year—Male||Won|
|2014||N/A||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Entertainer of the Year (shared with Alia Bhatt)||Won|
|Hasee Toh Phasee||Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Film – Male||Won|
|2015||Ek Villain||Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Thriller Film – Male||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Best Actor – Popular Choice||Nominated|
|2017||Kapoor & Sons (Since 1921)||BIG Zee Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Film – Male||Nominated|
|2018||Ittefaq||Zee Cine Awards||Best Actor in a Negative Role||Nominated|
- "Sidharth Malhotra turns 30, ready for 'action'". The Times of India. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Happy Birthday Sidharth Malhotra: 'Ek Villain' actor gets ready for 'action' at 30". The Indian Express. Indo-Asian News Service. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Lakhe, Amruta (7 February 2014). "Sidharth Malhotra talks about his journey from being the junior most to a lead actor". The Indian Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Iyer, Meena (30 June 2012). "Siddharth Malhotra's short journey to stardom". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (11 December 2013). "I was dating a South African girl, but I'm now single: Sidharth Malhotra". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Lakhe, Amruta (7 February 2014). "Sidharth Malhotra talks about his journey from being the junior most to a lead actor". The Indian Express. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "The new stars of Bollywood". Hindustan Times. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Masand, Rajeev (20 October 2012). "'Student of the Year' Review: If fun is what you're seeking, you won't be disappointed". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Sidharth Malhotra". Box Office India. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Box office verdict 2012". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- Basu, Mohar (7 February 2014). "Hasee Toh Phasee Movie Review: Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (7 February 2014). "Hasee Toh Phasee movie review". NDTV. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers 2014". Box Office India. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Gupta, Shubhra (30 June 2014). "Ek Villain review: Sidharth Malhotra is watchable but has hard time doing menace". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Mobhani, Suleman. "Bollywood's 100 Crore club". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Ek Villain changed Sidharth Malhotra's luck?". The Times of India. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (4 July 2014). "Newbie Central". The Financial Express. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Akshay Kumar, Sidharth Malhotra's 'Brothers' shoot over". Indian Express. 18 April 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Ramachandran, Naman (22 August 2014). "Akshay Kumar to Star in Lionsgate, Endemol Indian Remake 'Warrior'". Variety. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "'Brothers' box-office: Akshay Kumar-Sidharth Malhotra starrer collects about Rs 70.61 crore in 3 weeks". The Times of India. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Mehta, Ankita (28 March 2016). "Box office collection: Now 'Kapoor & Sons' to cross Rs 100 crore mark in India; 'Neerja' earns Rs 75 crore". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Sarkar, Suparno (18 March 2016). "'Kapoor & Sons' review round-up: Here is what critics have to say about the rom-com". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Ananya (18 March 2016). "Kapoor and Sons movie review: Fawad, Alia, Sidharth in a madhouse drama". India Today. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Joshi, Namrata (18 March 2016). "Kapoor & Sons: The ultimate family film". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra, Jacqueline Fernandez start shooting for their action film". The Indian Express. 8 May 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho – Movie". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "A Gentleman – Sundar Susheel Risky – Movie". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "Sidharth Malhotra to be seen in remake of Rajesh Khanna's 'Ittefaq'". Daily News and Analysis. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Box Office: Worldwide collections and day wise break up of Aiyaary". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "Aiyaary Movie Review: Manoj Bajpayee Rescues The Film From Sidharth Malhotra". News18. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "Aiyaary Review: Aiyaary misses the mark and is a huge letdown". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "Sidharth Malhotra to romance debutante Tara Sutaria in Milap Zaveri's romantic-thriller Marjaavaan". Zee News. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- "Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and Siddharth Malhotra unite for a cause | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. 10 August 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Sidharth Malhotra shoots for PETA". Indian Express. 4 July 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August". India Bulletin. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Nominations announced for ETC Bollywood Business Awards". Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Sidharth Malhotra–Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Stardust Awards 2013: list of winners". NDTV. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations". Indicine. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Winners of SAIFTA Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Bollywood's youth brigade rock the Big Star Entertainment Awards". Daily Mail. 19 December 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. 8 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Big Star Entertainment Awards Nominations List 2014". Reliance Broadcast Network. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Crowd Favourites". Indian Express. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Big ZEE Entertainment Awards: Nominations list". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music. 22 July 2017. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2013 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2012 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "The most promising newcomer male for 2012 is... – The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Siddharth Malhotra: Karan Johar's new find, Delhi boy Siddharth Malhotra has the dashing looks and a strong screen presence which got him the title of the most promising debutant of the year 2012". The Times Of India.
- "Meet the Vogue Beauty Awards 2014 winners". 22 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.